Chapter 59 I Died And Yet, I Live (rewritten)

I can't describe what it felt like. It was excruciating and yet I felt numb.
My heart screamed in pain and yet, there was complete silence.
I can't quite put it into words but I know this,
I died and yet, I live.
-Phoenix Mode
________________________________
Olivia Brown

Murkiness surrounded my feeble body. The thick mist and the darkness made the immense trees look more evil than normal. They looked alive in the silent night. I gazed at the eerie forest.

Where was I?

Almost blindly, I felt around myself with my shaky hands. My hands touched the dirt and the wet grass that was under me, and...why was I in a hospital gown? I was laying down on the filthy, cold ground, wearing only a gown and nothing else. Slowly and shakily, I got up on my bare feet. A few small sticks broke under my weight, making several crows fly and craw. Their sudden movement made me jump. I knew enough about crows to be wary of them. Crows will eat our dead bodies if given the chance. Their beaks are pronounced and sharpish. They start with the soft eyeballs and when the socket is empty, they eat the brain. Apparently, human brains are actually made of fat and have the same consistency as butter at room temperature. Which makes a delicious meal for crows.

With my heart in my throat, I tried to be as quiet as possible when I began walking.

How did I end up here? How can I come out?

Goosebumps covered my body as I walked with unsteady legs which didn't know where to go. The rain poured down on me as I attempted to see through the darkness. Before, darkness and silence were a peaceful combination, but now...it was a frightening combination. Every creak sound jolted me into looking around me hysterically.

Please God, help me. I'm begging you...help me.

All forms of hope, belief, faith vanished when I heard heavy steps following me. I gazed back, but with my tearful eyes, I couldn't see anything, just darkness. My bare feet hurt as I ran through the uncanny forest aimlessly. The steps held a slow, steady pace, yet they seemed to be exactly behind my running form. I cast a quick glance behind, there was no one there.

What...? Am I going insane?

My feet hurt as I kept running through the dark woods. I gazed around for somewhere to hide when my foot got stuck and tripped me. I fell down on the hard ground with a yelp. A shooting pain went through my hand and arm. I felt around with my right hand in order to see if it was broken. It wasn't, thank God.

My foot was still painfully stuck, it seemed like it was even more wedged in than before. I reached down and tried to free myself, with no luck. The steps came closer and closer, sticks were creaking and breaking under the weight of the invisible creature. My left hand began pushing dirt away from my foot faster and faster. My foot was almost free when the steps stopped, they stopped just a few meters away from me. My breath got stuck in my throat as I gazed around, my eyes didn't see anything besides tall trees. Cautiously, I pulled out my foot. 

I got up slowly with my heart in my throat.

Is this a dream or a crazy reality?

The steps had disappeared, but my fear remained. The silence was more petrifying than the sound of the steps following me. I limped to the closest tree, I put my back against it. Deep breaths, I reminded myself as I hid behind the tree. As my breathing calmed down, I began to notice that the steps had been gone for a long time. Maybe the creature gave up or found something else intriguing.