Chapter 53 Falling Apart (rewritten)

It's getting colder and so is my heart.
It's getting darker and so are my thoughts.
The leaves are falling and so am I,
falling
(apart)
_____________________________
Olivia Brown

Fortunately, Noah's boot was empty. Unfortunately, I didn't know Noah drove so...bumpy. There were a lot of sharp turns and uneven roads. My body did not appreciate all the hit it took. Luckily, I managed to be silent the entire drive to Joseph.

I had heard that a half hour before we would arrive, some other men would open fire and kill as many people as possible. So, when we arrived, there were already gunshots being fired and many bodies hitting the ground. A lot of shootings, moans and grunts out of agony filled the air.

Everyone else got out of the car and ran to the mansion...beside Noah. Fuck. I didn't take into consideration that Noah was the tech guy, not a field guy. That meant he would not leave his position from his vehicle.

How, the hell, am I supposed to get out of his car without him noticing?

Noah parked more far away than the others. Thanks to the lamps Joseph had throughout his mansion, you could still see the premises, it was about fifty meters away. I could make a run for it, but it was likely that Noah would see me and stop me. Maybe if I created a distraction? But what would that be? I couldn't open the tailgate without him noticing and throw something out.

Ugh, I'm so stupid.

Why didn't I get into someone else's vehicle?

Because all the other boots were full of weapons, idiot. You should have thought about your plan more thoroughly. The annoying voice in my head added. For once, she was actually right. Made her more annoying than before.

I kept my cool. Silent and immobile, trying to come up with a way to escape.

The silence made it possible for me to hear what Noah was up to. You could hear him fumbling and clicking on his keyboard. He was setting up his gear. When the gears started to make sounds, I slowly shifted and attempted to see what he was doing. He cussed under his breath before he gazed out at the dark sky and put an earpiece in his ear. It was silent once again. It seemed like he listened to something through the earpiece. Unfortunately, he had on one earpiece in one of his ears. Meaning, he could still hear the outside world. Luckily, he had the earpiece on the ear that was facing me. Because of that, I dared to move a bit more, so I could see better. I could watch his laptop screen now. It seemed like he was looking at the security cameras in Joseph's house. On the screen, you could see Theo opening fire at someone. Theo lowered his weapon when the body hit the floor. The body was painted in blood with a lot of dark holes. Theo didn't even glance at the person he had just killed mercilessly as he stepped over the corpse and was about to walk away. All of a sudden, someone was behind him. The air got stuck in my throat as the person raised his gun.

"Theo! Watch your back!" Noah barked suddenly. Apparently, Theo could hear him through the earpiece since he turned around and shot the guy between his eyes. I breathed out a quiet sigh of relief.

Damn.

Theo walked away, and the screen changed to an image of Anton and Diego shooting bodyguards that blocked their way. They hit the floor in a second. Anton gazed back as he said something. I guessed all the guys and their men had earpieces, since Noah answered.