twenty two

The following day my mum woke me up and told me to get ready. She said we were going to go to the store to buy things to bake. When I finished getting ready I went to find her in the living room. She was putting presents under the tree which reminded me that I still had to wrap the presents I bought and I had to buy my friends presents.

"I'm ready." I told her. She called Elio and he came out of his room with his jacket on too. I didn't want him to try arguing with me today, but when he saw me he gave me a smile and a hug and said merry christmas very cheerfully.

I let all the stress of today not being a good day leave my shoulders and we walked to the store. My mum had a car, but since it was Christmas Eve there was a lot more traffic because of people going around the city buying last minute things, so we just made the short three minute walk.

When we bought everything we went back to the apartment. It was still pretty early so my mum went back to her room, I went to mine to wrap the two presents I had bought, and Elio was in the living room watching T.V.

At around 5 P.M I started baking desserts while my mum made the dinner. While I let everything bake I went back to my room to continue reading my book. After about half an hour I heard the front door open and my mum called me out. I put my book down and put my shoes on.

Apparently I took a long time because Elio came and got me. His eyes looked watery and he seemed really hyper. "Are you crying?" I asked. I grabbed his elbow to stop him from dragging me out of my room.

"Just come on!" he said impatiently. I went with him and at the front door was my mum and a man I recognized as my dad. My mum was crying tears of joy while my dad looked so happy. I looked at Elio and he looked really happy too.

I don't know what my expression looked like, but I wasn't feeling very happy. It's weird seeing someone who I was never supposed to see ever again. "Hi?" I said unsure.

My dad came up to me and hugged me, but my body got stiff and I didn't return the hug. After a couple seconds he let go. He hugged Elio so I took that as my chance to step away from him. I went to my mum and whispered, "What is he doing here?"

"Rory... he wanted to see you guys. Can you just be happy about this?" she whispered back.

"What are my girls whispering about?" my dad said with a smile. He walked up to us and gave my mum a kiss on the forehead and was about to do the same to me, but I moved out of the way.

"Um... I'm just gonna go back to my room." I said as I gave an awkward wave.

"Wait, I want to catch up with all of you." he said.

"Well there's nothing new with me." I tried walking away again, but he spoke up.

"Absolutely nothing? I know there has to be something." he laughed a little.

I gave a sarcastic smile and said, "Yeah actually," he raised his eyebrows, "if you plan on not faking your death again, you should know I don't celebrate my birthday so don't try giving me something or make me celebrate."

"Rory." Elio said as a warning.

"He asked." I said. I tried walking away again, but my mum stopped me this time.

"I want you to spend time outside of your room with us. Go get your book and come to the living room."

I went to my room and closed my door quietly. I paced back and forth in my room and ran my fingers through my hair. I remember specifically making it clear that I didn't want to see him and yet here he was.

I felt like hitting something, but I didn't want to be loud so I grabbed my pillows and threw them at the wall and tried to relieve the stress that I had. I locked my door, put my pillows back on my bed and layed down. I felt a sob start to rack through my body and stifled my cries in my pillows.