seventy two

Slytherin had won the quidditch game so they went as far as to extend invites to Ravenclaws for the party in our common room. As usual, Gryffindors weren't invited so I didn't find it unusual when I walked into the party to see two 6th years dragging a Gryffindor student who had snuck in out into the corridor. There was someone next to the portrait checking people who were coming in. A 5th year I didn't really know. He stopped me right before I could fully make it in.

"Some Hufflepuffs said they're with you," he screamed at me over the loud music. I nodded my head in confirmation and walked away. I think Slytherins would've been more strict with who came in and out if we had lost the game, but since we didn't they found no reason to care as much.

I made my way throughout the room trying to find Elio when I felt someone grab my elbow to stop me. I turned around expecting to see Elio but instead I saw the group of Hufflepuff boys from my potions class and a couple more I didn't recognize. Assuming they were the ones that "are with me" I looked at all of them looking for the one I actually did know but didn't see him anywhere. "Henry went looking for you," the one who I know as Nathan said. I nodded in understanding.

"Thanks for getting us in," one boy said. I nodded. I didn't know what to say.

"I have to go," I pointed behind me towards nothing and decided to abandon my mission in looking for Elio. Instead, I went to my room. When I walked in I half expected to find Emeline in here but instead I saw Theo sitting on my bed. I resisted the urge to slump my shoulders in disappointment as I closed the door behind me.

"Where's Emeline?" I asked. He shrugged his shoulders. For the past couple days, Theo has been very absent at meals, classes, and even quidditch. When he did show up he would look at me. I didn't know if he knew that I knew, but I could feel his stare and everytime it made me self conscious of everything I did. He hadn't really spoken to me and I was grateful for that.

I walked over to my desk to put my wand down and take off my sweater. Just as I was about to question Theo as to why he was in my room he took a deep breath, ready to say something. "I'm going to go to France next month. I'm going to break off my engagement." I stopped in my tracks and looked over at him. Theo was looking at his hands, fidgeting with his fingers. He had a restless face expression and it looked like it pained him to say what he said.

"Does your fiancee know?" I asked. I began tidying up my desk just for the sake of doing something.

"She somewhat agrees with it. Just worried about who she'll be paired with after me." Paired with sounds so wrong. God, I hate these purebloods.

"Why are you telling me?" Theo didn't say anything for a while. I turned around to find him already looking at me.

"I told you everything so you would hate me. So our break up would be easier," Theo began. "I hurt you more than I intended and I know it was wrong of me to make love to you after I already knew how things would end," I became uncomfortable so I tried to intervene in his rambling, but Theo continued. "I swear everything I said that night I meant, and I'm sorry that you were forced to be by yourself in a moment I was supposed to take care of you,"

"Stop..." I turned my back to him as I covered my face in fear of being so emotionally exposed to Theo. "Stop talking," I said.

"Aurora, I swear to you I'll do everything to prove to you how deeply sorry I am-" I turned around quickly and glared at him.

"No, why are you doing this now?"

"I know I can't make up for all the damage I caused you, Aurora. But when you told me that you got pregnant..." He paused to compose his tone, "No matter what, I'll never forgive myself for what I did to you," I wiped at my eyes as I let myself openly let my tears fall. This is what I had been wanting to hear, so why was it hurting me so much to hear his apologies. Theo got up from where he was sitting and quickly walked to me in strides and wrapped his arms around me.