Gone

TW: your death

You were fighting in the battle of Hogwarts, against the deatheaters, trolls and dementors. You ran and ducked spells, rolling to safety. You took a moment to breathe in the empty hallway, you couldn't believe this was happening, your students and fellow teachers were dying around you. You tried to hold back tears as you went back out, battling against the evil. You thought of Severus, you had no idea where he was and you wished for him, you wanted him to hold you and say everything is okay. You hopped he was safe and that he would be there when the battle was over.

You ran across the courtyard, tripping slightly over rubble and stones which blocked your path. You were running to where most of the students stood, fighting the army of death eaters. "(y/n)" a sudden shout. You looked over to see Minerva pointing at a dementor sucking the soul off a student, quick as a flash you ran back over the courtyard and send your Patronus. At that moment you smiled and took out of your pocket Severus's ring he had given you. You remembered you and Severus together by the black lake, eating small things as the waves gently lapped on the shore. That memory was the last you would ever think as you were hit from behind by the killing curse. You fell onto the ground, limp. The death eater which killed you stood over your body and sneered before raising his wand to the girl who you had protected from the dementor, but before he could utter the words Minerva disarmed him and punched him in the face. She started to sob, kneeling down and checking your pulse. The tears threatened to overwhelm her as she looked down at you, her friend and colleague for the last 10 years dead on the floor.

Minerva stood up, her blood boiling and her tears now replaced with anger.

Somehow Severus survived the attack from Voldermort, secretly he had worn an enchanted vest which made it seem he was dying but in fact, no wound hit his body. He did this because he had a person to live for. You. Severus had waited until the battle had started again when he came out and started to fight the death eaters. The final battle was intense however Voldermort was defeated and it was over.

Severus looked sadly over the rubble and those who had died, he never wished for this destruction to his home. Now he searched for you, through the crowds, looking for your beautiful face and smile which would lift his heart and make him feel worthy.

"Severus" a voice said behind him. Minerva stood, tears threatening to spill down her face.

"Minerva" he said "You haven't seen (y/n) have you?" he asked, worry started to twinge at his stomach.

"That was what I was going to" Meneriva sighed, tears streaming down her face as she hugged Severus. He looked at her confused, raising his eyebrows at her.

"What?" he asked. "I just want to see my (y/n)"

Minerva let go, she didn't want to say but Severus wasn't getting her emotions. She walked away and Severus followed her until she came to a corner of the hall where you lay. You had a slight smile on your lips, thinking about you and Severus. In your hand, you clutched the ring and in your other your wand. You looked peaceful, almost ethereal as you lay.

Severus screamed, his hand shot to his mouth and he stumbled back onto the floor of the great hall, tears streaming down his white face and falling onto the stones of the floor and onto his robes. You can't be dead he thought over and over. You were going to retire together, have children, live and live until you were both old. You had planned this together. Severus cried his eyes out, this pain was worse than when he saw Lily on the floor of Godric's Hollow. This pain was searing, hot and red. Memories flashed in his mind of you and him together, you and him happy and in love.

When Severus ran out of tears he just moaned on the floor, his arms wrapped around himself. He could not take the pain, he wished he had died at the hands of Voldemort, he wished he had protected you like he promised. Only one thought filled his mind. It's his fault.

Severus laid on the floor as hours passed, not wanting to get up even when Meneriva coaxed him. What was the point to get up if you were not there to greet him? Finally, after hours of crying and moaning, he got up slowly. His whole body shook and his face was as white as it had ever been. He couldn't bear to look at you, shielding his eyes as he stood. He didn't know what to do. How would he go on, knowing you would never be there?

Slowly he got the courage to look at you and he started to cry again. He ran over to you and held you in his arms, rocking you back and forth. He didn't care what people thought, you were his, the love of his life, far more important than Lily ever was. You showed him compassion and love in a world where he was too blind to see it. Severus nuzzled his face into your hair, still smelling your calming scent which made more tears fall down his face, wetting your beautiful hair.

The hall was now empty, people had returned home and the bodies dealt with, apart from yours. Severus had the responsibility for your corpse which he held in his arms. What was Severus to do with you? He wished for the resurrection stone, like out of the books you both read together, your gentle voice calming him from hardships. With that he would have time to be with you, time which was taken so harshly from him by the deatheater that murdered you.

Severus finally looked down at you and whipped his tears away, picking you up slowly he traipsed toward the exit and kissed your cold lips with love. He knew you wanted to be made into ashes and be made into a wizard painting so that's what he did. He commissioned an artist to create a portrait of you smiling as you read your favourite book by the fire. Severus put the painting up in the place you both had planned to retire which was a small cottage in Scotland. There you looked over him as he sat, read books, cried and created potions and spells. Severus sometimes felt lonely, but when he did, he looked up at you on the wall and he smiled, a part of you was always with him, on the wall and on his finger as he wore both the wedding rings. He also felt somehow you looked down on him and that you are there when he cried, you stroking and kissing his hair as he clutched onto you. Severus hoped you were peaceful and wished to see you again one day in whatever death led to, for if you were there it was worth it.