Clear my head

This one-shot is based on the song Clear my head by Daði Freyr

You laid on Severus' chest, you had fallen asleep a while ago but Severus stayed awake, his mind swam with thoughts as he held you. It was comfortable like this and Severus looked down at you as you began to stir, moving your head slightly and snuggling closer to him. Severus slightly smiled, he could not believe this was real, was this part of his daydream? Severus gritted his teeth as you accidentally kneed him as you moved slightly, no this was not a daydream, you were with him, keeping where he needed to be.

You yawned and slowly rolled off Severus. He sat up, watching you as you stretched and opened your eyes. Immediately you furrowed your eyebrows, sitting up and looking into Severus' eyes.

"You didn't sleep, did you" you said, cupping his cheek.

"I was thinking" Severus said quietly, his eyes looking away from yours.

"Thinking" you echoed "You can talk to me" you said. "You do not need to keep it in. You can clear your head and speak out loud about it" Severus sighed, moving his head out of your hand. "I know it can be overwhelming, but would you share it with me?" you asked.

Severus looked back at you and smiled slightly. "I was thinking how without you I would be gone with the wind" he said, his eyes slightly glazed. "I would not know where I would be if I carried on as I was"

You smiled sadly, taking his hands in yours. "But you are here with me now" you said, squeezing his hands slightly.

"I am" Severus said, stroking your hand with his thumb and bringing it up to his lips, kissing it gently. "I have always needed you (y/n)" he said. "You always help to clear my head"

Severus pulled you to him and cuddled into you, just listening to your breathing and how your head snuggled into his chest. He was so thankful for you, how you listened, the first who did properly, the first one who properly cared for him. Your presence was calming and loving, a change from his past which was full of darkness and death which he had embroiled himself into when he was young and naive.

He looked down at you and his thoughts cleared, all he thought about was you and how you held him. A slight smile flickered on his lips and he kissed your head, and nuzzled his nose into your hair.

"I love you, Severus" you said. In response, Severus kissed your head again and stroked your back gently. This all felt like a daydream to him, this was too good to be true the way you held him and he held you but yet here you were. Slowly he closed his eyes and fell asleep against you, exhausted from his thoughts.