Rivals for your attention, Part 1

Thank you @hogwarts_muggle for this suggestion!

You sat insed at what James, your potions partner had created. The textbook said that the potion at the end should be purple and slowly bubble, however, the creation in front of you was steaming and a shade of blue. You frowned, biting your lip and mixing it gingerly, maybe stirring would fix the issue. Your partner, James, was too busy talking to Sirius, leaving you to try and fix the mess he had made.

"bat wing" a voice muttered. You turned to see Severus, shooting you a look as he sat in front of a purple, slightly bubbling mixture.

"Thanks" you murmured, quickly grabbing some and placing it in the cauldron.

"and also-" before Severus could carry on you felt an arm drape around your shoulder. "Red Chillies" James said, grinning slightly at you.

Severus sneered as you placed the chillies in and the potion turned a shade of purple. You sighed in relief, looking at James who smirked in pride. "You see, I was useful after all" James said, ruffling your hair. You squealed making Severus shoot at look at you and James. He hated how James acted around you, all nice and charming, trying his best to impress you. Severus rolled his eyes, he also wished to impress you, rivalling the Gryfindor for your heart and attention.

"Now how to make it bubble" you murmured aloud, frowning again.

"Ice water" Severus muttered, catching your eyes in his. You smiled, going to the shelves and picking out the right bottle. You frowned, not properly being able to reach the stupidly high shelves. Suddenly you felt yourself lift and you squeeked. James held you up, your combined heights allowing you to grab the bottle. You giggled as James let you down, smirking at how flustered you had become.

"Thanks for the lift" you said, grinning.

"Anything for my potions partner" James said, going back to the desk with you. Severus watched with jealousy as you grinned at James, your face tinged red with embarrassment. He wished he could make you giggle and go red like that.

"Your staring Snivellous" James called over, Severus blinked, being brought back to reality with the scathing comment.

"James" you muttered, annoyed. "Don't call Severus that, he doesn't appreciate it"

James was taken aback as Severus smiled, slightly love-struck behind his hair. You stood up for him like always. James just shrugged, his grin faltering as he felt bad for hurting your feelings by annoying Severus. He just wanted to impress you.

The class soon came to a halt, you and James thankfully passed with the tips from Severus. James grinned, placing his arm lazily around your shoulder as you both left the classroom. You bumped into Severus and you got up the courage to thank him.

"Thanks Sev" you murmured, "I-I mean, we would have failed without you"

Severus was surprised at the word Sev, it wasn't said with the scorn of the other nicknames, it was said with kindness and maybe compassion, you were actually grateful for him and his skills. Severus nodded, too embarrassed to speak. James just watched you both from over your shoulder. He wished that he could do something which could help you, however, he always seemed to mess up potions.

"You want to head for lunch?" James asked as Severus was about to say something. Immediately Severus frowned. You cocked your head.

"You go on" you said, letting James shrug and walk away, his hands deep in his pockets. "I am sorry for James" you murmured, frowning. "I don't think he understands how his actions affect others."

"I think also" Severus said.

"Look, if he is an idiot I will make sure to tell him off" you said. "He needs to be taken down a few pegs anyway"

"Good luck" Severus jokes, his cheeks glowing red at how he was being so relaxed, it confused, for the first time he was joking with someone, with his crush.

You laughed. "I don't just have luck" you said, "I also have a wand I can shove places" you chuckled and so did Severus, slightly. "Anyway" you murmured. "Want to get lunch?"

"No" Severus said automatically. "I have to, study" He muttered, kicking himself.

"Oh, ok" you said, shrugging. "See you"

Severus watched you go, did he hear a slight sadness in your voice, did you want to have lunch with him? Severus' mind whurred and he regretted saying no. He sighed, turning toward the library.

You got to the great hall and saw that lunch was almost over, the lesson ending late and also the conversation with Severus making sure that there was little on the tables. You caught ther eye of James and sat down next to him.

"You eaten?" you asked, looking around at the empty tables. James nodded. "Is it all gone?" you asked, frowning.

"Lunch finished just as you arrived" James said.

"oh" you murmured, you were hungry and needed something to eat. You heard James snigger and you frowned, shooting him a glare. "How is me being hungry funny?"

James grinned, revealing his wand and placing a plate on your head that had been hovering around you. You quickly grabbed the plate which was filled with your favourite foods. You grinned at James.

"You are amazing" you said, starting to eat. James grinned, he was now even in the rivalry between Severus and himself for you, and he would make sure to win.

Part 2 up soon