Mask

You were tidying yours and Severus' room when you came across a dark grey mask with ivory highlights. The mask had round eyes and the mouth was four or five cuts for sound to go out. You were curious, never seen it before and put it to your face, immediately it clamped onto your face. It was too big for you but it still hugged your face, some kind of spell keeping it in place. You could feel the anger and malice in the mask, however, wore this had infested it with sorrow and anger.

Getting your wand out you pointed it at the mask and tried to get it off with magic which also failed. At this point you were crying, the mask filling your head with whispers of murder and death.

"Please get off" you screamed, pulling at it with your fingers. "Please" you cried further, unable to move the mask even an inch from your face. You were terrified, the mask filling your head with images of your loved dead on the floor. You looked down, seeing your fingers start to fall off, you screamed, the mask was making you see things which weren't true.

"Stop" you moaned, collapsing to the floor and crying into the dark mask. "Please stop"

"(y/n)?" Severus asked, coming into the room. His eyes widened as he saw you, crying in the corner.

"Severus help please" you moaned, turning to him. Severus turned white, seeing his mask strapped to your face. He ran toward you and took his wand, waving it in front of your face so the mask disappeared. The mask was gone and Severus saw your tears which fell from your red eyes. You sniffed, whipping your tears as Severus picked you up and placed you on the couch.

"What was that?" you asked, your lip trembling.

"My deatheater mask" he mumbled quietly, letting his hair fall in front of his face.

"Why does it hurt so much?" you asked, sniffing.

"Voldemort filled it with anger and malice so that when a person would wear is then you would be loyal by showing images of death." Severus murmured. "only a certain spell can take it off"

You sniffed and snuggled into him, Severus wiping one of your tears.

"You should keep away from it love" he murmured.

"I will make sure I do" you said, your breathing still being slightly raged.

Severus kissed your head and got up from the bed, picking up the mask and walking toward the cupboard and placing it back in the small wooden box, shutting it and putting a charm over it.

He returned back and sat on the bed again.

"I saw you dead" you whispered. "The mask made me see it, clear as day"

"It finds out your fears and loved ones and uses it to control you" Severus murmured, rubbing your back tenderly. "I have got used to the images and hide my mind from the mask, however it would have been difficult to cope with if you have never come across it before"

You nodded, leaning into Severus and sighing, the images slowly leaving your mind.

"What did you see specifically?" he asked quietly.

"You Severus" you mumbled. "you were bleeding on the floor by your neck and what looked like Snake bites on your chest." your lip trembled again.

"shh" Severus cooed, stroking your back. "The images aren't real. I will always be here to keep you safe"

"Thank you" you mumbled, snuggling into Severus as he pulled you into a soft embrace, keeping your body close to his, showing how worried he was for you.