Chapter 27

"Hey Mom," I greeted my mother, a little sheepishly, setting Lexi back on her feet.

            I headed to the record player to stop the music and kind of postpone having to deal with my mother knowing I had brought a girl over. I had no idea how my mother was going to react. I had no previous experiences with something like this to prepare myself. 

The music stopped. I looked back to the two women in the room.

Mom looked between me and Lexi.

I could almost hear the wheels turning in her head. I was a little worried that she'd start thinking that I'd been talking about getting more help just because of a girl.

            Albeit, Lexi was not just a girl. But still.

            Also, would she realize who this was? Would she say anything. I was about to sweat with stress.

"Hi, I don't think we've had the chance to meet, I'm—" Mom started to introduced herself but she was interrupted.

"Sophia Everingham," Lexi finished for her in a whisper.

She looked at my mother kind of in awe.

Oh.

I had been thinking so much about how my mother was going to react and I hadn't been thinking about how my Pumpkin was going to react.

She loved my mother's books after all.

Lexi was freaaaaaking out.

All my worries about my mother meeting Lexi went out the window. Lexi looked way too hilarious right now. She was like every fangirl that ever met my mom.

"Well, Sophia Eaton, I only use my maiden name as my pen name now," she explained.

My mother had started to write before she got married, so she used her maiden name and after marrying my father she had decided to change her name to his to be able to dissociate from her work in the real world.

It felt silly for her to call it her pen name though.

"Please Mom, pen name?" I teased her, rolling my eyes.

"Don't hate the pen name Blake. You think you were better when you signed your paintings Blake Black," she replied, with a satisfied little grin.

I wanted to bash my head against a wall.

No. Ugh. Please, couldn't she keep my lame ideas to herself? She was my mom, she should be helping me impress this girl, not give her more ammunition in her insult arsenal. 

Lexi pressed her lips together, to keep from laughing but couldn't help chuckling.

"Mom," I whined and that just made Lexi laugh more. 

"Alright, alright, I'll leave you two kids to whatever you were doing. Oh and Blake, when you have time, I need you to proof read something. I'm not sure, do I kill him, or I keep him alive?" my mother added, kind of as an afterthought.

I snorted and automatically answered, "kill him. I don't need to read, just kill him, it'll make every one happier."

That ought to make Lexi freak out. Maybe she'd start being nicer to me if she thought the survival of her precious characters hung in my hands a bit. 

Mom laughed, rolling her eyes a bit. "Everyone isn't you, and if I do, then you'll have to deal with the ecstatic fangirls that will want to kill me."

I grinned, glancing at Lexi beside me who looked like she was using all of her will power to not fangirl. "Oh don't worry I can handle ecstatic girls."