Chapter 31

Chapter 31

While Josh had gone to freshen up his make up, I went to the kitchen to see of I could help with anything, though I already knew I would probably be kicked out of the room.

I did not have the best track record in the kitchen.

I poked my head through the arch and asked in a sheepish voice, "you guys need any help?"

My mother smiled at me, while Anita glared at me, pointing in my direction with her spatula. "Out. Out of here," she commanded.

Mom laughed and headed my way, "come on, you can help me set up the table."

I followed her like an obedient child to the dinning room.

Mom walked up to the CD player connected to the stereo system in the room and started a compilation of Frank Sinatra's songs.

We cleared the table of her vase and other decoration and grabbed the table cloth.

Josh joined us at that moment. "Need help with anything?"

"No, well," I had a second of worry, since Pumpkin was still unaccounted for. Maybe she'd gotten lost. "I guess you can go see if Lexi fell in the toilet," I joked.

On one hand, it might have been dangerous to let them interact together alone, Josh was always a ticking bomb. On the other hand, though, it might be good for them to talk together a bit and for Josh to not hate her.

Josh rolled his eyes, but saluted me and headed out.

Hopefully nothing catastrophic would result from a short walk from my room to the dinning room.

"So... this Lexi," Mom started to say with a cheeky smile.

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Nope."

"Oh, come on."

I stuck my tongue out at her like a petulant child, making her laugh.

"Hey Blake, check this out, I'm your father," Mom said and with the utensils in her hands started to act like she was conducting an orchestra, moving her hands around, making ridiculous serious pouty faces.

"You're doing Dad dirty Mom," I told her, laughing.

"Hey, am I exaggerating? Imagine if someone told him he had to conduct anything composed after the 1900."

I snorted. "He'd flip a switch."

"He would flip a switch," she agreed and kept on going with her little impression.

My father was such a snob sometimes.

I laughed at her antic, setting up the table with her.

The song changed. I looked up. Lexi was standing by the arch, Josh beside her.

I smiled. A few days ago, I was the one standing by an archway looking at her.

To wishful thinking, and hoping that in a few months, she'd be the one pining over me.

I wanted to laugh at myself for having that thought.

"Wow Josh, I didn't think you'd get lost when I said go see if Lexi fell in the toilet," I teased him. He looked... down for some reason.

What had he talked about with Lexi to have those eyes?

"I had to drag her here, she tried to escape," Josh replied and laughed.

"Hi Lexi," Mom said, smiling her way, and walked up to her, giving her a hug. I wanted to hide under the table. "I'm so glad you're staying with us tonight," she added, still hugging her.