Chapter 56

In my top ten bad ideas, bringing Lexi along to our vandalism shenanigans probably made the list.

It was one thing to bring her along to hang out with Josh and a whole other thing to have her being an accessory to a crime, albeit a benign one in my mind.

Still, I was pretty sure her father wouldn't like me that much if he knew where I was taking his daughter right now.

And Josh definitely wasn't helping with my worries. "Can she run fast?"

"Yeah," I answered.

"Enough to keep up with us?"

This really shouldn't make me smile. "When she's angry I think she can almost outrun me."

Josh looked back at Lexi, "Well I hope for your sake that you get pretty pissed off when you have a hungry Rottweiler on your tail."

That had only happened one time. He should keep this to himself. He shouldn't worry my Pumpkin.

"Because there's a chance that I'll have hungry Rottweiler running after me?" Lexi asked, looking a little panicky.

Josh and I both laughed, thinking about the unfortunate mishap. It was pure luck that Josh had been carrying a roast beef sandwich in his bag, and we were able to distract the dog with it.

"You have to be prepared for every scenario. Hungry Rottweiler. Pissed off ninety-year-old lady with a shot gun. Cops with low blood sugar. Kids on speed that think we have Meth to sell them. Terminators out to kill us," Josh enumerated. Only the Terminator bit wasn't real.

And apparently that's the only thing that Lexi cared about.

"Terminator fan?" she asked.

I was pretty sure I had heard her ranting about Terminator at the lunch table at school a couple of times.

She was talking to the right person now.

"Hasta la vista, yeah! Look," Josh beamed happy to have someone mention Terminator. Josh turned on the light inside the car and showed her his Terminator tattoo.

"Oh my god! That's got to be one of the most awesome thing ever," Lexi replied, just as enthusiastically.

I rolled my eyes at them, but they weren't paying attention to me.

"Right? One of my artist friends did it for me. It continues on my shoulder blade too," he explained.

When you didn't know what his tattoo was, you could be fooled for half a second that he was actually wounded on his shoulder. It looked like his skin was torn.

"But you know you won't fool a Terminator with that right?" Lexi told him.

"Yeah, I'm aware of that," Josh admitted.

"Good thing they aren't running everywhere just yet," I pointed out, chuckling at them.

It was cute though, that they had something in common. After all, I did want them to get along.

Josh shook his head at me, not having it. "Please. Ever taken a good look at Angelina Jolie? Her facial bone structure just screams endo-skeleton. Who knows, maybe she is a cyborg working for Skynet. After all, she had some work done. Yeah, that's definitely a new theory of mine, Angelina Jolie is a Terminator."

"I'm with him on that one," Lexi agreed, nodding her head.

I had never thought I'd hear Lexi Grayson one day say that she was agreeing with my crazy best friend Josh.