Chapter 35

Chapter 35

In a dusty room dimly lit by an old television, I was sitting with our football team watching videos of us getting annihilated by other teams.

We were a barely above than average team. We had a good year maybe fifteen years ago, and people in town still rode that wave.

But everyone in this room was aware that we weren't going to repeat the glorious days, everyone except our coach, that had just paused the video to yell at us.

I was kind of tuning him out though. I'd pulled my hood on and I was slouching on my chair, arms crossed over my chest while I just kept thinking about Lexi looking at me like she didn't hate me.

Almost looking at me like she might like me.

There was no good reason to start making up fake scenarios in my head. Years of pinning for this girl had thought me that much, but I couldn't help the smile slowly forming at the corner of my lips when I thought about Lexi reading Hernani with me last night.

"Coach is screaming at us, why are you smiling you weirdo?" Fred asked beside me, rolling his eyes at me.

I just grinned more as an answer.

I felt all giddy inside, thinking I was going to spend another evening with Lexi, thinking about making plans with her, about spending time with her, about being a part of her life.

I really needed to stop getting so freaked out over anything Lexi related.

When practice-turned-meeting was over, I headed out, a skip in my steps.

"Should I be assuming that you're in such high spirits because you're on your way to your girlfriend's house?" Fred asked me, amused.

I grinned, and just waved at him, getting ready to run to my car because it was raining and I wasn't wearing a coat. "Byyyyye Fred."

"So, we're not even denying it anymore."

I just grinned and kept ignoring him. "Call me if you need a babysitter."

Once I was sitting in my car, I shook my arms like a flapping bird to uselessly try to dry myself. The rain had taken me by surprise. It would have been better if the weather had been nicer. I would have needed a run to get rid of my giddiness.

I parked in Lexi's driveway, feeling strange that this was getting into a familiar place.

Never in a million years would I have thought I could feel that way.

I ran to the front door and rang, trying as much as I could to hide from the rain.

A few seconds later, Lexi greeted me a smile on her lips.

I was kind of taken aback by it, so I started to rant like an idiot right away, "It's still freaking raining. I had enough rain when I was little." I took my hoodie off, since it was damp from the gloomy weather.

Lexi rolled her eyes at me. "A little dramatic, aren't we Blake."

"I've been known to be from time to time, yes," I replied.

"Come on," she said, motioning for me to follow her, so I did.

We were heading upstairs, probably to her bedroom.

I kept trying to listen for sounds, or look for people... but it seemed like it was just me and her in the house.

Was I... was I seriously alone in a house with Lexi Grayson? Like, I knew it didn't mean anything, that nothing would happen... but I WAS ALONE IN A HOUSE WITH LEXI GRAYSON.