46

Chapter 46: There’s a Legend in the North Sea
The alleys to the north of the town were empty and decrepit. Wooden doors set in crumbling walls creaked under their own weight. When a gust of wind blew, windows would clatter open and closed, faint clacks spilling through the air.

There were no signs of life. Overgrown and decaying, it seemed as if it had been very long since anyone had lived there.

Di Jiufeng stretched out her neck to look around, then turned to Ning Guang and asked, “It’s already in this state, do you think there’s still anyone here?”

Ning Guang nodded. She spoke, her brows furrowed, “There is one, in the third house to our left. Not entirely a human but not entirely a ghost, it’s very strange, but we can go take a look.” Taking Di Jiufeng’s hand, she walked into the alley.

Hand in hand with her, Di Jiufeng did not feel cold even as the sea wind blew.

Following in Ning Guang’s footsteps, she walked to the entrance of the house. Before she could raise her hand to knock, she heard a voice as coarse as sawing wood speak from inside. “No need to knock, come right in, no need for courtesy in a little place like this.”

This was a house seated in the West, facing the North, the feng shui was horrible. It would not see the light any time of the year, gloomy and cold.

It was not a great thing to say, but truly, this did not seem like a living person’s residence. On the contrary, the decor and arrangement was a bit like that of a tomb.

As soon as she stepped inside the courtyard, Ning Guang felt the yin energy hit her full in the face. Her demonic cultivation stirred into motion, raring to devour this wisp of energy. She furrowed her brow and tugged on Di Jiufeng’s hand, pulling her behind herself. “Be careful, there is something strange about this place.”

The courtyard was very small. They arrived at the main house within three steps.

The door was not closed very tight, a crack still left open. The scent of rot dissipated out from this crack.

Ning Guang released her demonic cultivation. Just as she was about to investigate the inside of the house, a pair of hands like chicken claws pulled open the door.

“You!” Seeing the person standing behind the door, Di Jiufeng retreated into the courtyard, pulling Ning Guang with her. Her face was a bit pale, unsettled shock in her eyes. “Are you a human or a ghost?!”

The old man behind the door looked not much different from a malicious ghost. Half of his face had peeled away. His eyes, nose, and mouth tilted out of place, and there was a large dent sunk into his skull, haphazardly sewn back together with black thread. This was already frightening enough, but none of it as much as the flies and maggots writing by his left ear.

This was not a living person. How could a living person be infected by maggots?

Seeing them warily retreat into the courtyard, the old man smiled and swatted his ear, tossing the insects onto the ground. He did not get angry, only pulled a pipe out from his lapels and stuck it into his mouth to take a drag. “Don’t be afraid, I am a living corpse, I can neither overpower a living person nor defeat a corpse.” He took two hard drags, then breathed out. His half-dead face looked much gentler in the winding smoke.