70

Chapter 70: Transmigration Exposed?
Di Jiufeng suddenly remembered that in the original novel, this was not the first place they had arrived in the demon realm, and there was more than one ancient witch’s core.

The ancient witch cultivated the ghostly path, gaining a sense for life and a comprehension of death. Her core was split into a life core and a death core.

In the original, the ancient witch had only recovered the death core. Slaughtering the cultivation world was no obstacle, but she did not have enough power to contend against the Heavenly Way. In her previous life, she had completed both paths of life and death, so she could just manage to fight the Heavenly Way. If she was missing half her cultivation now, Di Jiufeng was certain, she would definitely die beneath the Heavenly Way.

She suddenly realized that the original novel probably remained incomplete not because the author didn’t want to write the ending, but because they couldn’t keep on writing. The ancient witch had no other outcome but being struck down by lightning.

But this life core, Di Jiufeng thought, must be the one Lin Hao’s grandfather had given to Lin Hao. As for that fated person, it was probably not Ning Guang. After all, in the original, she hadn’t even grasped the shadow of the life core.

“Ning Guang, I remembered something, I will tell you when we go back,” she leaned by Ning Guang’s ear and whispered. Seeing her nod, Di Jiufeng said to the city lord, “Everyone is here, let’s return for now. It is already late, we should not stay here any longer.”

The city lord nodded and called a few people to carry the bodies. He himself led Qing Yu and the others back to his estate.

They were housed in the guest courtyards of the city lord’s estate. Surrounded by curling streams and fine, lush trees, the exquisite little rooms were hidden within dense vegetation, a rather quiet and secluded location. The scenery was quite nice, and it seemed rather private too. But, Di Jiufeng was still worried. After she tugged Ning Guang into the room, she set a barrier spell, then entered Shen City with Ning Guang.

“What is it, is something wrong with the core?” Seeing Di Jiufeng so cautious, Ning Guang sensed that something was off.

As expected, Di Jiufeng nodded and said, “Yes, the ancient witch’s core. Have you ever wondered if the fated person Lin Hao’s grandfather described was not us? He does not want you to recover your cultivation, the opposite in fact, he wants to destroy the core completely and get things done once and for all.”

Ning Guang: “What you said makes sense, but you cannot exclude the possibility that the fated person is us, right?”

“No, Ning Guang, you have to trust me. The fated person Lin Hao’s grandfather described was that monk, and, we are already out of time.” Di Jiufeng thought carefully about the novel’s contents, and suddenly realized that there was in fact such a segment right after the ancient witch had entered the demon realm.

“She stepped out of the spatial tunnel, and before she had steadied her footing, she heard a bolt of lightning gallop through the ink-colored sky. In that moment, she felt something disappearing rapidly from her own body, but before she discovered what it was, the thunder came to a halt, and the crow-dark clouds dispersed, as that strange sensation also disappeared without a trace.