54

Chapter 54: Key
Along with the noise, the stone tablet sank down into the floor. What replaced it was not a coffin, but a small black door, sunk flat into the ground. The door was not large, and it was carved with an intricate pattern, locked tightly under six silvery-white chains the thickness of an arm. Ning Guang bent down and tried to tear away the chains.

But no matter how hard she pulled, the chains would fight back just as hard. Caught off guard, she was thrown a few steps back.

“Ning Guang, be careful.” Di Jiufeng reached out to catch her. Then, she followed beside her and walked up to the black door. She inspected it carefully. Right in the middle of the door was a small lock, swaying from the chains.

“This is… a Nine Dragons Heaven and Earth Lock?” Ning Guang bent down, holding up the lock to look.

When she got a closer look at the pattern carved onto it, her brows furrowed. “A-Feng, we have to go find the key. This sort of lock is called a ‘heavenly lock’. Without the key, even the most brilliant locksmith under the heavens cannot open it. But, the Nine Dragons Heaven and Earth Lock…”

There was an account of this thing in the Shenzhou Records.

But on the page about it, there was only one lonely sentence.

––No information could be found, disappeared without a trace.

The Nine Dragons Heaven and Earth Lock had vanished long ago, no one even knew what it looked like anymore, not to speak of where its key could be found. Ning Guang felt that finding the key to open the door was impossible, and a waste of energy too. They might as well find some other way to enter this door.

Ning Guang had already given up on finding the key, but Di Jiufeng did not think the same.

Even though the plotline of this novel had already twisted out of shape, the System had said that all the major plot points would not change. The ancient witch would find the key in the demon realm, she would find it with a goal and a direction.

Di Jiufeng had a headache. Why didn’t she read the novel properly? If she had read it carefully, she wouldn’t be fumbling blind, she could accurately lead Ning Guang away from every disaster. She pressed on her temples in frustration. She wanted to call out the System and ask, even if the chance that it knew something was not large. After all, this System that only knew how to play cute knew nothing outside of the main mission.

She called out a couple of times, but the System had long ran off after Qing Yu, leaving only an unresponsive empty metal shell.

“If only we knew who locked this door,” Di Jiufeng sighed.

But hearing her speak, Ning Guang’s eyes widened. “Right, if only we knew who locked this door.” She stomped her foot, and the little fuzzy ball that had disappeared into the array was scared out by this earthshaking stomp.

With a huff, it rolled around on the ground and stumbled over a rock, flying up to crash down by Ning Guang’s feet.