67

Chapter 67: Puzzle
The city lord’s servants had fished out a corpse from the sea. It looked like it had not been dead for long, but after being soaked in the water for a while, the corpse had bloated and rotted, and there were deep holes bitten into it in places. One eye remained but the other was gone, and there were some black insects crawling in and out of the rotting flesh.

As soon as the corpse was brought on shore, there was an overwhelming stench. Some of the weaker people around already could not take it, and ran to the side to vomit.

Di Jiufeng staggered to the front, and was immediately scared stiff by this corpse. She almost couldn’t walk, her eyes open wide, her face as pale as the dead.

Di Jiufeng had seen a few corpses by now, but never one which made her so terrified.

Not only was there disgust, there was also a bone-chilling sense of being watched. It felt like this corpse was alive, and it loathed her to the extreme.

Di Jiufeng shook violently, cold sweat pouring from her forehead, dripping from her sharp jaw to the ground, drop by drop, sweeping away all the warmth in her body.

Di Jiufeng was terrified, of course Ning Guang was the first to notice. She immediately threw aside the crowd and ran to the front, covering Di Jiufeng’s eyes with one hand, then stomping on the corpse’s head with her left foot.

With a crackle, the skull shattered into pieces.

The city lord drew in a cold breath, about to speak, but then he hesitated and walked over. “Uh, that… this, this…”

“That’s not my body.” Lin Hao had also caught up, and after looking at the body, he shook his head with certainty. “Though it is also a man’s corpse, it is not mine. I am missing a section of my little finger, I accidentally chopped it off while playing with an axe when I was young.” He raised his own right hand, and everyone could see that his little finger was clearly missing a section.

But the corpse on the ground, though it’s face was already destroyed, clearly had two complete hands.

The city lord let out a held breath. He wanted to say something to Ning Guang, but she completely ignored him, gently wiping Di Jiufeng’s sweat with a handkerchief.

“A-Feng, you’re so timid, why are you running around like this? Can’t you just stay by my side?”

Di Jiufeng did not respond. Her hands fisted in Ning Guang’s lapel, and she said in a trembling voice, “He, he, he just… he was watching me… the body… it’s, it’s still alive.” She was so scared she couldn’t even form complete sentences, but fortunately, the sense of being watched had disappeared completely when Ning Guang had crushed its head.

Di Jiufeng let out a held breath, but the goosebumps which had risen on her body one after another still made her shiver.

Ning Guang sighed, and pulled her into her embrace. The burning warmth pressed against Di Jiufeng’s body finally let her trembling subside. Ning Guang was about to say something, but right then, she felt the ghostly form’s storage space rock back and forth.