Jack Kelly- Deal (c)

Newsies One Shot

You handed over your coin and took the stack of papers without a word exchanged, doing your best to keep your head down and not stand out in the crowd. You headed off to the nearby alley, to just be away from the eye of the other newsies and get a chance to count your papers to make sure that you weren't being short changed.

"You're new around here?" A voice called.

One of the newsies was making his way over to you, carrying his own newspapers. You knew that most of the newsboys had formed their own communities, but you weren't part of that and were trying your best to just do your job and get the money that you needed to survive.

"It's my first day," you stated, pulling at the lip of your cap to try and pull it down so that you didn't need to make eye contact with him.

He made his way to your side, wrapping an arm around your shoulders to give you a playful shake and friendly hug.

"Don't worry, kid, with me by your side, you'll sell all your papes and I'll only take 70 percent of our combined profits," he grinned, smacking the back of your head.

It was meant to be a playful gesture but in doing so, he knocked your hat from your head, revealing the long ponytail that you had tucked up underneath to try and hide the length of it. He grabbed the hat before it hit the floor.

"I ain't seen a girl newsie in Manhattan before," he commented. "We're going to have no problems selling those papes with you."

You snatched back your hat. "I don't need your pity."

You pushed your hair back up into you hat to try and hide the fact you were female, still keeping your voice lower to sound more masculine.

"It ain't pity."

"There ain't no honest work for a poor girl. This is the fourth neighbourhood I've tried. I've I'm dressed like a girl, I've got to fight off the boys looking to use me to turn their profits, or I've got to listen to their jokes, then I got to go stand out on the streets and see the men leer. I don't know how the other girls do it," you frowned. "I'd appreciate it if you kept this a secret. I'm here to get paid, not be someone's meal ticket."

He raised his hands in defence. "I won't tell anyone, it's your business, but the offer is still there, it was there before I knew you a girl and it still stands."

"No deal stands unless it's fifty fifty, we all got to eat," you frowned, handing out a hand to him.

The boy laughed and rolled his eyes before taking your hand and shaking it.

"You got a deal," he smiled. "I'm Jack. Jack Kelly."

"Y/N."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.