Martha Dunnstock- Talent Show (a)

Heathers The Musical One Shot

"I can't believe you convinced me to sign up for this!" Martha's clammy palms ran up and down her jeans, you heard the audience roar from behind the curtain. "Why did I let you do that? You always know how to do this to me."

"Look, if Kurt and Ram can go on stage and get that sort of reaction, I'm sure your performance can't go that bad. What are you doing anyway? I kept asking but you never told me." She scorned at you under her brows. "You said you wanted to enter; I wasn't going to let you back out of that."

"I-I'm singing." Her head weaved back and forward around the curtain at the few hundred wide crowd. "I've never really sung in front of anybody before and I chose to sing a song that I wrote in front of pretty much everybody that already bullies me every day. Tell me why I let you do that again?"

Martha's panic was momentarily cut off by a tapping echoing throughout the sports hall.

"Hello... can everybody hear me?" Principal Gowan stood on the stage. "Next up we have... that can't be right?" He looked off the stage to see you and Martha stood next to each other, Martha stood with mouth agape, but you nodded him forward. "Okay, we have Martha Dunnstock who will be singing an original song." A wave of mumbling erupted from the audience, Principal Gowan left the stage and there it stood empty for what felt like an eternity.

"You're going to have to go Martha. People are going to talk a lot more if you just leave so you might as well just go. You got this!" She turned to you, tucked her hair behind her ears and breathed in deeply.

"I've got this." She stated over and over again. "I've got this." She marched towards the stage, stepped slightly onto the shiny hardwood and turned back as soon as she saw the crowd and their fixed gaze. "I don't have this."

"Do you want me to go and tell everybody you're sick or something?"

"No, they've already seen me."

"Well if you don't go quickly, they're going to call somebody else in."

"Come with me." She begged. "Come and sing with me."

"I don't know the song."

"It's fine, it's easy to follow just stand to the side of me, bring some echo or something it'll be fine I promise." She grabbed your arm and pulled you out into the spotlight before you could protest.

~*~

Written by Aaron.