Connor Murphy- Theatre (a)

Dear Evan Hansen One Shot

"Paint the trees." You heard Connor mumble to himself as he unenthusiastically splattered vivid green onto the chip board, occasionally switching to a darker or lighter shade as directed. "Theatre's fucking stupid." He talked under his breath, becoming more and more aggressive with his strokes until he had almost put the soft brush through the sheet.

"Woah... calm down, it's only a tree." Sometimes being in costume makes mobility a bit of an issue, but this year's production was Chicago and if anything was too easy, so with ease you strolled over to him. "It's meant to be the actors with a wide emotional range, not the reluctant stage painters." Your presence clearly did not distract him from his duties, that or he simply didn't care enough to look up, but his eyes stood steadfast towards the evergreen.

"I don't want to be here, I want to finish the god damn foliage, then I want to go home to my own greenery."

"You know that smoking weed doesn't make you cool right?" You asked, squatting beside him and grabbing onto an empty brush, being careful that the paint-soaked bristles didn't drop paint over your outfit.

"And what? Dressing up like some..." Finally, he looked up, his eyes tracing your scantily clad body before finally landing on your face. He stopped for a moment, his mouth agape and his eyes wide, before snapping back to reality and continuing to paint. "Dressing up like some slut is?"

"This is the arts." Ever so gently you placed your hand on his shoulder, he quickly brushed it off, smearing a light smudge of green onto your otherwise black glove. "Just because you don't understand it, or just because you aren't smart enough to appreciate it don't make it bad." He snickered, dropping the brush onto the polished stage and grabbing his jacket to leave.

"I don't need lecturing from some wanna-be actress, get a real job in mind we have enough pornstars." Here was this two-bit rebel insulting you with little provocation yet you could see nothing but a sliver of good inside him, you weren't sure if it was something in his eyes or the way that he spoke.

"Pornstars earn a fair bit of money I guess, I could even re-use the costume." His arms fell into those of his jacket and without responding he turned and walked towards the exit. "Wait!" You called out, his shoulders and head dropped as he spun around.

"I'm done."

"Why don't we go and see a show together?"

~*~

Written by Aaron.

Tumblr Request.