Heather McNamara- Confusion (c)

Heathers The Musical One Shot

Death was never pretty, especially when it was someone so young. Westerberg High was experiencing more grief than they had ever felt. In a matter of weeks three students were dead at their own hands, leaving everyone lost and confused, uncertain of what had caused them to take their lives. All leaving suicide notes, it had stated the contributing factors, but it didn't make it any clearer, it didn't make it any easier for anyone. Kurt Kelly and Ram Sweeney had a joint funeral, having admitted to a hidden romance in the letters they left to their fathers.

Although the funeral did end with a new view on tolerance and acceptance that had never been seen within Sherwood, Ohio, it didn't mean anyone was happy. In life, you'd never liked Ram or Kurt, they were bullies and were cruel to most students, but it didn't mean you'd ever wish ill upon them nor would you have ever wanted them to end up in graves so early. No tears fell from your eyes, but others were affected far more than you were.

As you left the church you saw Heather McNamara heading towards the bus stop, black trails of teary mascara coating her cheeks as she hastily fled from the scene.

"Heather," you called, out attempting to run after her but your shoes weren't complying.

She paused, turning to you but kept her head down so her blond hair covered her face. You gave her a weak smile, opening your arms as an offering to her, which she gratefully took. She wrapped her arms around you and allowed herself to sob into your black dress.

"I'm so sorry," you whispered.

"I don't know what to do," she said, her hoarse voice cracking through her tears.

You had always liked Heather, having been friends in elementary and middle school, but she had become popular and you hadn't. Although she was popular, she never treated you badly, unlike her two friends. Heather Chandler was the worst of the worst but like the two boys, you'd have never wished for her to die, sadly she had.

"It's going to be okay," you said, rubbing a hand up and down her back.

"My best friend is dead," she sobbed. "And my boyfriend, well my kind of boyfriend. And he came out as gay in his death. They're all dead and I just don't understand."

You cooed to her, to try and calm her down.

"Everything happens for a reason Heather," you whispered. "It may not make sense now, or seem like it has a reason, but one day it will show itself. It is going to hurt but it will get easier."

She sniffled, looking up at your through her blond fringe.

"Thank you," she whispered. "I'm glad that I still have you."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.