Roxie Hart- Books (c)

Chicago One Shot

Having a baby wasn't an easy job on a good day, let alone when you were locked up in prison. It was hard to handle the end of your pregnancy and labour whilst a convicted criminal, but you managed to survive it. You struggled to say goodbye to your daughter, but your sister had come to collect her from you and would take care of her whilst you were incarcerated. You were meant to be released within a year and you just had to accept the weekly visits with her as there wasn't anything better you could do.

Most of your belongings had been things to help with your pregnancy and birth, so were no longer of use to you but one of the other inmates had recently found out she was pregnant, so you thought you might as well put all your stuff to use rather than just throwing it out. You gathered it all up and headed to Roxie's cell and knocked on the wall next to the door to get her attention.

"Congratulations," you smiled. "I heard about your great news."

Her face paled as she sat up on her bed, trying to smile at you.

"Thank you."

"I had my daughter in here, hopefully you'll be out before yours is born, hopefully it'll help your case."

"Yeah, I never thought about that."

You tried to seem happy and welcoming, but the smile just seemed to become more awkward as time went on due to the silence that was surrounding the two of you.

"I have some stuff that might help. I have no use for any of it anymore so it might come in handy for you. Some supplies for you and a few books," you said, putting the pile down next to her. "Even if they aren't helpful, they're quite interesting."

"You sure you want to give up your books to me? I don't really read," she stated. "I don't think I've ever seen you without a book in your hand..."

You shrugged. "They're yours, we all need some help once in a while. We can't all afford some fancy lawyer and if I want to see my daughter again, I've got to work at it myself. Kindness is free."

She looked down at the stuff on her bed before she looked back up to you, a pained smile on her face.

"Well thank you, YN. If I can help you, just let me know."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.