Velma Kelly- Limelight (c)

Chicago One Shot

When you ended up in prison, you had assured yourself that you'd keep to yourself, get through your sentence and then get on with your life but the other inmates clearly didn't get that memo. You had heard of Velma Kelly, having seen one of her shows before both of you ended up in prison but you doubted that you had anything in common and didn't expect to even get the time of day from her even if you were locked up together.

At first no one seemed to fight your wish to be alone but one day Velma came to sit with you during dinner and started talking to you. Most of the time she would talk, and you would sometimes listen but as days went on, she made it clear she didn't just want a friendship in prison but wanting you to be in her life outside of your sentences.

"You'll love it in the limelight, it's the best bloody place to be," Velma grinned.

"What makes you think I want to be a performer? We aren't alike Velma; we aren't anything alike. You're beyond extra and like being the centre of attention, I just want life to go by and to not end up in this shithole again."

She shrugged her shoulders. "I think we're more alike than you think. You've got something that they'd eat up if you were on stage, and with my stardom, you'd have a star on the walk of fame."

"You clearly don't know me at all," you stated. "I'm not a primadonna like you. I don't think people give a shit about me when they only care if you have something that they want."

Velma laughed at you, standing up from her seat, pressing her hands flat against the table that sat between the two of you.

"And that's my appeal, it's what makes me a star. Sometimes I think about toning it down and then I remember who I am and I'm not about the change myself when that's what pays my rent. I'm not asking you to change either, but I know that whatever you have to offer will work with what I've got."

You rose from your seat too so that you could easily look her in the eyes, unimpressed with the conversation that seemed to have spanned several days of her attempting to try and convince you to join her in her performance.

"I'm not interested."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.