Roxie Hart- Embarrass (c)

Chicago One Shot

Finding out that your best friend was arrested for murder was a tough pill to swallow. You weren't even sure if you believed that she was innocent, especially when she seemed to proudly accept the title of murderess. You tried to distance yourself from Roxie, not wanting to be considered a link to a murderer but she wrote to your daily to beg you to visit and finally you ran out of excuses and agreed to head to the prison the following week to visit her.

Through her letters, she told you that only her husband and lawyer visited her and even told you about being a pregnant inmate and how that added to her ever-growing fame. You always knew that Roxie didn't want to be a mother, but you knew well enough that this pregnancy wasn't about having a baby, about being a mother but just a piece in her plan to be the best-known woman in Chicago.

You sat down opposite her, not recognising the woman opposite you. She looked happier than she ever had and tried to hold herself like a fancy movie star, the kind of woman that she desperately wanted to be like. You naively asked how she was, but she assured you that this was the best time of her life.

"You know you're my best friend," Roxie smiled sweetly, leaning over the table to grab your hand, not caring about the guards that were closely watching the two of you. "Can I tell you something embarrassing?"

A soft laugh escaped you. "You will never do something more embarrassing than that love poem you wrote when we were thirteen and read it out in front of the whole school."

Roxie rolled her eyes, unimpressed by the memory that you brought back to her in the attempt of making yourself feel more at ease. She raised her eyebrow as if asking you the question again, which you nodded to.

She leaned in even closer so that her brightly coloured lips were close to your ear, forcing you to listen to her and stopping the guards or other prisoners from hearing.

"I'm not pregnant," she giggled.

You almost jumped back. Every newspaper in the city had pages upon pages about this pregnancy, how could it not be real?

"What?"

She beckoned you back. "My doctor agreed to write that I was, if I gave him a little something in return."

Roxie wiggled her chest, letting you know the sexual link to what had occurred, although you could have guessed that. Somehow this made more sense to you, but you could only wonder if poor Amos knew about the lie.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.