Arnold Cunningham- Fate (a)

The Book Of Mormon One Shot

"I just feel like it's fate... you know?" Elder Cunningham sat next to you with a boarding pass in one hand and a copy of The Book of Mormon in the other. "Go out, baptize some heathens with my mission companion and then come back to the centre a hero... this guy just doesn't seem keen. I mean how bad can Uganda be?"

"Who did you get put with anyway?" He nodded towards Elder Price and the large group of people that had come to see him off as his scuffed shoes brushed along the airport linoleum.

"You should be glad. Elder Price is like the best Mormon this place has ever seen, you're going to come back a hero regardless." His chubby fingers flicked through the pages of his passport and a few leaflets he had collected on staying safe in Africa.

"That's the problem. Everybody expects so much from this guy, how am I even supposed to compete? His shirt perfectly pressed, his hair pristinely combed. Even dad said to just leave him alone and let him get on with it, otherwise ill get in his way and just mess everything up." A round of laughter exploded from around Elder Price, his entire ensemble patting him on the back and congratulating him on the work that he hadn't even done yet.

"Don't listen to your dad, holy father believes in us all and knows what we are capable of, otherwise you wouldn't have made it all the way to your mission. It isn't every Mormon that makes it this far."

"All I've had to do so far is pretend to listen to the teachers and make sure that I'm not gay. It really wasn't all that hard. You don't even have to not be gay, just make sure that nobody knows."

"I'm sorry what?"

"All I'm saying is that I don't think this guy likes me. I'm just going to get in his way, I might as well just stay here and let him get a new mission companion that won't hold him back." He went to stand up but you held him back in his seat.

"You're a lot smarter than you look. Just remember to not make things up and to remember about the whole gay thing. Past that all you must do is survive. You will bring people to this church, I'm sure your father will be so proud."

~*~

Written by Aaron.

Tumblr Request.