Jason Dean- Slurpee (c)

Heathers The Musical One Shot

It was a quiet day at work, leaving you off in your own imagination until the second customer of the morning came in, near to an hour after the last had left. You didn't want it to be hectic as that was far too stressful for minimum wage, but it wasn't enjoyable when no one came to your counter at all. Nevertheless, they paid you whether there were customers or not, so it wasn't exactly a hindrance to you.

The boy who walked up to your counter was a usual. He came in nearly every day, having only missed one or two days since you had started working there two years prior. You had seen him at high school, him having been a freshman whilst you were a senior and you had taken a job at 7eleven to save up for college and get your through community college. You'd never spoken to him at school, but you did speak to him when you served him. He came in every weekend morning, or an hour or so after school was out, when your shift had pretty much just started. What was even weirder was he ordered the same thing every single time.

"A lime Slurpee," he stated, placing the exact change onto the counter.

"Morning to you too, JD," you smiled, trying to seem friendly.

He'd always seemed like a troubled kid. You'd never met his father, but he had come in with the odd bruise or broken bone once in a while and knowing he hadn't gotten them at school, you could only assume it'd happened at home. You knew his mother had passed away as it had come up in conversation when he had missed a weekend at the shop to go to her grave.

"Sorry," he muttered.

You poured out his drink, handing it to him, putting your hand atop the money on the counter.

"Nothing else for you?" You asked. "You always come in for a lime Slurpee, a kind of odd tradition if you ask me."

He shrugged his shoulder. "I guess this is my escape. Some people have drugs or alcohol, a good old-fashioned brain freeze is all I need to hide for the world."

You shook your head at him. "You're so weird."

"You have no idea," he smirked, taking a swig of his drink.

"Keep your money kid. It's on me. It will get better, high school isn't the end, things become brighter."

JD took his change, giving his shoulders another shrug. "Maybe."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.