Éponine Thénardier- Letter (c)

Les Misérables One Shot

Walking the streets of Paris was never an overly safe thing for a woman, especially not in the current political climate due to the impending revolution. You were not a woman of status and on the side of the revolution, so as long as you kept your head down and out of direct trouble you would be fine.

You were heading home late from visiting one of your cousins when you noticed your dear friend Éponine walking alone. As you grew nearer you could see the tears falling down her cheeks which gave you a cause of concern. She noticed you, and quickly wiped at her cheeks with her shawl to try and hide the tears and her sadness.

"Éponine what is wrong?" You asked concerned for your friend.

"Oh... nothing," she said, a fake smile on her lips, her eyes still red from tears.

You cocked your eyebrow at her knowing it was complete rubbish. If nothing was going on then she would have no reason to cry.

"Don't lie to me," you frowned. "Something isn't alright."

She shook her head still holding the fake smile. You noticed her hands behind her back and although you couldn't see what was in her hands you could tell something was there.

"What's behind your back Éponine?" You questioned.

"Nothing," she said softly, her smile dropping with your question.

"Show me what's behind your back," you smiled lightly wanting her to trust you with whatever she was hiding.

Éponine was reluctant but moved her hands from behind her back showing you the folded paper. You gestured your hand out to see if she would hand the paper to you, and she did. Just from her solemn express you assumed it wasn't something great.

You unfolded the piece of paper to see neat handwriting across it. It was a letter to Cosette detailing the love and affection of Marius. Your expression dropped as you lowered the letter. You knew that Éponine cared for Marius and had for a while, it must have hurt her that he was sending her to take a love letter to another woman.

"I'm sorry," you sighed. "I know how you feel about him."

She shrugged taking back the letter.

"It's okay. You aren't to blame, no one is. Marius cares for her and not me and I will have to accept that. I didn't want to take the letter to her, but I know I have to as that's what he wants. I love him, Y/N, and that's why I will support his love for her, I want him to be happy."

"I hope it gets easier for you. You're a good person Éponine."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.