Chapter 26

A couple days later.

Hannah seemed calm while she went through the letter we received from the school. I noticed her grinning at the words written by our principal, formally sending his praise to those who had been chosen for the tournament. I had zoned out and left the assembly last week when they were announcing the participants but when I received the letter at my door step, I was more than surprised and a little thrilled for getting selected.

"Wow. We got in, again!" Hannah exclaimed, folding the sheet of paper.

I chuckled at the memories of last year and said, "Well, I hope we don't run out, again."

"I don't know about you but I'm going to go to the second round of the tournament this time. Last year, the participants had to do something like hunting the opposite team in their wolf form." She explained to me.

The tournament had only three rounds, they were placed week after week and at the end, they were only three winners from one of the three teams. The first round was about mind games, finding a way out of a zone around the area without shitting in your pants. The participants were injected with something from the lab that was supposedly used to bring out people's worst fears inside the zone. If you could get out of the zone in your senses, you could proceed to the second round.

A lot of us in the first round itself lost and gave up, including me and Hannah. The first round lasted for almost twelve hours and if you screamed or cried or begged for help, you'd be lost.

The second round was all about running away from the other members of the team while they tried to hunt you down. And the last round, the worst one, was inside the land of rogues and hyena's where you had a day to fight and run away from them before they killed you. It was one of the dangerous acts of the tournament and making it alive out of there was nearly impossible.

Last year, one of us was killed by a mindless hyena and a lot others were injured, including Lucas who came in the second place as he was too wounded. Those who won were given a reward along with a high position in the pack.

My Dad—Mr. Barry won the tournament decades ago and was promoted to a Beta since then. It was one of his greatest achievements. He managed through the last round by killing a few rogues and hyena's without getting injured.

The last three winners were in the process of getting a position in the pack along with Lucas. It was one of the reasons why he returned back to the town.

"How do I look?" Hannah asked, pulling me out of my thoughts. A dress hung over her body and the closet behind her was wide open.

"Yeah, you look nice." I replied, turning around.

Hannah looked at herself in the mirror and while running hands down her dress, she asked, "You're planning to go to the ball, right?"

Ah, the ball.

There was a ball held before the tournament, celebrating the end of winters, a new season and the tournament.

I rubbed the back of my neck and shrugged, "I don't know. I just don't want to run in the Alpha, especially since the conversation we had the last time."

A week and I hadn't seen him anywhere around, not even at the school but I had full faith he was going to be at the ball since he was the Alpha.

"Come on," Hannah pouted, "We always go together, it's our yearly ritual before the prom." She pleaded, jumping on the bed and talking my both hands.