Chapter 77

C

hapter 77

Xalorad's POV

I slammed on the brakes of the car, bringing it to a halt before my head turned and I gave Artemis a feral look. "What are you talking about?"

"Oh, you know, just the wedding." Her hand ran in circles around me. "I have to be the bridesmaid. I've been so good with her. You have to give me some credit." She punched my shoulder, taking this friendship way to far.

"I've no idea what you're talking about." I tried not to act startled. No one could know about it.

"Did you propose to her yet?"

"I still don't know what you're talking about." I pressed on the race and drove out while turning on the radio to hear something better than Artemis and her cranky voice asking me questions I desired to not give answers to.

"Come on, Xal. I know what went down in that room." She reflected on the day when we were in Shadowfalls, at Marco's house. The memories of that day returned to me while Artemis' questioning gaze burned me.

"You weren't there."

"Of course I was there, listening to everything that went down between you and Marco. It was startling but kind of sweet." She continued before giving me a pat over my shoulder. "I never knew my cousin was this interested in a girl that he'd go ahead and ask her Father...and her Mother for their blessings and permission to wed their daughter." A smile crept on her wicked face as she dragged the entire thing for long. She wasn't even the slight hesitant as if she had stalked me over the week, following wherever I went, noting down everything.

"You can't tell anyone. Especially right now." I warned her.

She chuckled and pressed herself against the seat of my car. I drove towards the nearest portal, which was in the dungeon. We had to report back to hell for an important meeting that was being held by my Father.

It had to do something about him accepting my ruling.

A celebration in disguise.

"Why not? Didn't you ask Marissa yet?"

"No. She learned I slept with another woman on the same night I was about to ask her." I replied.

As much as I didn't deserve her, I was still going to have her because I loved her. I knew it was going to take weeks, probably months before she'd ever even think about forgiving me but I didn't mind working for it.

She made me selfish for her.

"Wow. You're certainly a dick head." Artemis snapped with an amused smile.

"And you're just jealous right now." I could tell.

She turned her eyes at me and then let out a laughter. "Just keep driving. We have to get to hell before five or Uncle Hades is going to turn into a monster neither of us want to deal with." She glanced at her watch and then back at the road.

I wasn't planning on staying in hell for long, just until I had made amends with my Father and scheduled everything down there. Right after that, I was going to return, return to Marissa and pull her back into my arms, even if she resisted.

I sensed something wrong when entering the portal. There was a different kind of energy. It made my mind ache and by the time I reached hell, my head was throbbing with immense pain.

Artemis and I fell on the ground together, at the same time. "What the fuck is happening?" She bawled, rubbing her scalp.

It took me a few seconds before the pain shook off itself and I got up on the ground. Artemis took a while longer. I examined the sky outside, it was darker, fiercer than usual. There were portals, opening up in the sky with rings of fire around them.

It only meant one thing.

Tension leeched onto me from the inside and I went straight to my Father.

"What is happening?" I questioned, walking in the throne room.

"Passengers. They are leaving, going to the mortal world, troubling the humans and the wolves. I warned you, Xalorad, I warned you that mating with that she-wolf would create an unbalance. It happened before and it's happening again." He came straight to my throat, without even giving me a warning.

"Oh, fuck." I cursed out loud.

Passengers.

They were sinners and some demons from hell that left when they found the opportunity to open their own portal. They wandered around the mortal world, troubling whoever they wanted too.

When it first happened, it was around the time my parents mated with each other. The entire thing left a mark on hell. And even after decades, I still hunted down passenger and killed them again.

My Father snorted, "Good job, Xalorad." He clapped for me.

"Don't mock me, Father. I will handle this." I stated before walking over to Johnathan and snatching the papers off his hand.

"And how do you think you'll do that?" He breathed down my neck with fury in his every single breath. "There is no way to bring back those passengers."

"Then I'll find a way." I gave him a look and he stopped yelling at me for a second there.

I ran through the list of sinners and demons that had left. They weren't many demons who had wandered away but the amount of sinners that had left were a lot—a lot.

I folded the page and glanced up at Artemis who was on call with someone. "How the fuck do you have network?"

"Perks of being a Goddess." She winked before turning her back on me and continuing with the call.

I didn't hear much. I focused on the names and tried to find anyone I knew. There were a couple of dead wolves from my pack that had escaped hell and they were all dangerous ones—one of them including Barry.

"Fuck." My teeth clenched.

Artemis dropped the call and turned to me with horror on her face. "That was your Mother and she just told me that hell has unleashed itself on the town. While she's trying to keep everyone safe, she cannot enter the zone and the students are getting killed in there."

I shuffled back and forth before handing the papers back to Johnathan. "I have to go."

"The portals are closed. You cannot leave." My Father stood in front of me, holding his hand out. "We had to shut all of them down once we knew passengers were leaving."

"I don't care. I've to go."

"You're going take a thousand more passengers along with you if you force yourself out of here." He shouted at me as I walked past him. "You're going to reign hell upon the mortals!"

It was a mistake to come here, to leave Marissa alone. Fuck. I should've dragged her along with me even if she didn't want to come. It was better to be safe than not knowing what Barry was going to do to her.

"Then let it be, Father!"

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr