Chapter 89

Chapter 89

Marissa's POV

It wasn't an understatement. Xalorad was serious when he said he'd kill our Moon Goddess, the one who gifted us with our wolves and made us who we all were today. I stared at him in disbelief and watched his angry controlling him.

My mind was upon the reason to why the Moon Goddess did this. It wasn't like I or Xalorad did anything wrong with her. She couldn't play around with us like this, for whatever her reason was. We choose each other after going through so many obstacles.

"Don't be absurd," Hades snapped at his son. "You cannot end her. She is a Goddess and anything you'll do to harm her with grab the attention of the other Gods and we don't want them to see how worse your ruling can get." He continued, spitting facts.

I sniffed before my eyes glazed over to him, "But we can talk to her right? She has to reverse this."

Hades shrugged in response, "She's nowhere to be found—"

Before he could complete, the door opened and one of the demons walked in, bringing the exact information we all needed. "Selene is here." The demon said, his voice shaking in fright.

Xalorad's hands left mine. He parted away quickly, letting his anger take the worst out of him. I tried to stop him but he walked out as soon as he heard the Moon Goddess was here. His rage fled out of the room with him while I was stayed, digesting the events that had occurred.

I was unmarked and pregnant.

This was going to be painful.

"Xalorad! Don't you dare harm her." Hades ran out of the room, following his son after learning his intentions. I finally figured out to why he had locked up the Moon Goddess in hell for over five years—she was cruel and wicked.

Hades knew exactly what was going to come and he tried to protect Xalorad from walking in the same path as he did. I was warned too, a thousand times, just in forms of visions and dreams that I once thought were nightmares.

Even Artemis...

She marked me to protect me, not because of my unblemished virtue but because she saw what was coming. She had warned me to stay away from Xalorad.

Mistakes were made but they were the greatest ones I had ever made and I had no regrets nor was I ashamed. I loved him, with or without the bond.

And just like that, I got off the ground several minutes after Hades left and walked out of the bloody room. My head spun in different motions and bile spread around my stomach but I contained it back. My eyes looked around the castle, searching for them.

I stopped by a window and pressed my hand against it. The fire spilling from the ceilings of the castle burned me but it caused no pain because I was a part of this world now. I belonged here, with Xalorad.

A moment after, my gaze fell upon the crowd outside of the castle, on the hot grounds of hell where I found them all, fighting with each other, verbally. I went straight right in between of them, forming my own war against the Moon Goddess.

"We were happy together. Why would you do this to us?" I questioned.

"The balance has been restored. Isn't that what you all wanted?" The Moon Goddess replied, looking at the familiar faces around her. "Too many deaths were ruled by the passengers that had left hell. I had to bring a stop to it somehow."

"No!" I exclaimed, "You wrote us together, knowing this all would happen eventually. Why would you that if you were going to break us apart?" I stretched my arm in front of Xalorad whenever he tried to step forward with his raging flames readying themselves to wreck the woman standing in front of us. I spoke calmly, knowing she could reserve this all if she wanted to. We just had to butter her up somehow.

"My child, he was not a match for you and it took me some time to understand that."

"But I love him."

"Those feelings are going to fade soon enough. You deserve to be with someone better." She said to me. Her eyes gave me all the answers I was looking for.

It took a moment to understand that this wasn't about restoring the balance, this was about Xalorad sleeping with another woman when he learned I was his mate. At the end of the day, it was the Moon Goddess who thought she had failed and was betrayed.

She was punishing him.

And me.

"That's enough." Xalorad took a step forward with raw anger in his eyes. He stood ready to harm to her in every way possible he could. Before he did, I pushed him back and calmed the demon raging inside of him.

My eyes stayed upon the Goddess. I was nowhere near done yet. "I want to be with him. I'm not going to be with anyone else." I stated, splaying my arms in the air. "And this is not fair. I forgave him for his mistake—"

"Too soon, my child."

"No. I forgave him because it was a mistake that didn't change anything that we have right now. He's my true mate and you cannot take that away from me." I countered in frustration. "And if you wanted to redeem yourself for some of the flawed destinies you had written, then you could have mated my Mother with another man that wasn't Barry." Anger dripped from my words. "But you didn't so you have no right to tickle with my destiny when it's already there."

There was a still silence in hell that lasted for very long minute. I took in a small, crippling breath as Xalorad's hands came down my shoulders, comforting me. The Moon Goddess was nearing to defeat, it appeared on her face as she eyed me with guilt but she switched hard and fast.

"Do you want me to take your unborn child away to?"

Breath caught in my throat as my heart drowned inside my chest. My eyes bulged out in fright before things around me turned blur and my gut knotted in the fear of losing my child—one that hadn't been born yet.

Xalorad turned me aside before raining hell fire upon the Moon Goddess for even threatening me and the child who wasn't even here yet. It barely had a heartbeat.

"She can't hold that much power." I whimpered, moving further back as her blood-curdling yet wicked screams rang through the circles of hell when Xalorad fought against her with pure rage.

"Trust me, she can. Go get inside the castle before any of this harms you." Hades said while keeping his eyes upon his son and the Moon Goddess.

They fought in the air, cruelly attacking each other as wild monsters with no care for each other. I thought I had it under control and believed she was going to change her mind but that was until she threatened our child.

The ground shook when Xalorad slammed her to the ground, his eyes deep black than red and his razor-sharp claws pushing through her neck, struggling to kill her.

But a Goddess couldn't be killed.

Only harmed and weakened.

I wasn't able to bear anymore of the blood shed and screams without fainting so I ran back inside the castle and locked myself up inside the same room I had been earlier. Xalorad was banked with fury that no one could control and even if I wanted to, I didn't because I contained the same anger as he did.

I avoided hearing the screams for as long as I could. The ground underneath my feet continued to tremble with the chaos hanging outside the castle.

But it stopped soon and when it did, Xalorad stood in front of me with blood dripping from his hands. My throat tightened as I kissed him and caught a sensation of his beating pulse under my fingers. He seized the back of my neck and pulled away.

"I'm not going to let her or anyone destroy us." He hissed down my throat. "I promise."

I closed my eyes and pressed my head against his. Tears spilled down to my cheeks. "She's not going to let us be mates, isn't she?"

"She will. Soon," His hands curled around my face and he rose my head up. "Look at me, Marissa." I lifted my eyes at his command. "This is the outcome of my mistake and I won't let you suffer for it. I don't care what I've to offer her but she will reverse this." He promised.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr