Chapter 81

C

hapter 81

"I killed her, Marissa." He took my hand in his and reassured me. It didn't sit right with me. "You don't have to worry about anything. I promise you, nothing is going to surprise you anymore." He continued, his face inches away from mine. "I'm sorry for hurting you." His expression was soft and his eyes giving me a dazed, dim look.

My tense lips willingly met his into a slow, lasting kiss. He smiled against my lips while I shivered in fear. Xalorad stroked the length of my jaw before pushing his fingers into my hair and releasing my mouth slowly. His lips curled into a smile and his eyes filled with immense love that didn't seem to have an ending.

"What is worrying you?" He asked, noticing me. "I've handled Barry. He will never come near you or anyone else. He will rot down there, in the dungeons, for the rest of his eternal life."

"What happened? What was the ring in the sky? And the wolves dying inside the zone?" I was no longer concerned about Barry as I knew he would be taken care off but there was a peculiarity in the air, danger and death too.

Hannah mentioned someone was killed inside the zone itself and she wasn't killed by any of us.

"A few sinners escaped."

"What? How?"

"My Father mentioned when we would complete the mating, it would cause trouble in both words—opening up portals and letting prisoners and demons out." I followed his words and grew more curious. "I was getting it under control but I had to come see you."

God.

I whimpered before pulling him in and wrapping my arms around his chest. It was painful, a torture to keep myself away from him.

The door to the hospital room burst open and Artemis walked in with flowers in her hand. My heart almost swelled and jumped out of my chest as if a thunder had just stricken me on my head. I moved back, parting myself away from Xalorad as Artemis approached me.

"This is for saving my baby." She said, giving me the flowers.

"Hannah is fine?" My brows drew together and I hoped she made out of the forest without getting any harm.

"She's perfect. She wanted to see you but her leg for twisted in a god damn branch and now she can't walk or fuck without crutches but everything else is great." Artemis gave me a wide smile. She stared at me for a long second before turning around. "Well, I should take my leave now."

"Wait. Thank you." I stopped her.

She turned to me and squeezed my shoulder. A few seconds passed and then a few more before she opened her mouth again, "That one wasn't pregnant but I know who is. Guesses are on, bitches."

Shaken with her words, I didn't respond, just blinked a few times to regain conscious. Xalorad understood almost immediately and went behind Artemis as she decided to leave again.

"Don't fuck with me."

"Ew. I would never." She rolled her eyes and pushed her shoulders back. "But be careful. It's weak."

My hand landed over my stomach. She couldn't be joking—this was something she couldn't even joke about. I tried to say something but it was already to late. By the time words reached my throat, Artemis had vanished, disappeared from the room and the hospital.

"Is she joking?" I got off the bed and asked Xalorad. "I'll fuck her up myself if she's joking." My muscles quivered and my hands clenched into fists.

Xalorad placed his hands over my shoulders and remained with me. "She wouldn't. Just stay here, I'll go get someone who can confirm this." He said, his voice breaking and his words hardly leaving.

"Wait." I grabbed his arm. My eyes filled with tears, my chest rose and fell as I released bursts of air. "What if—what if she's telling the truth?"

A satisfied smile appeared on his face. "Then? I'm happy, Marissa." He rumbled while taking my face in his hands. "More than ever and I don't care what it takes to make things right but I will."

"Okay," I nodded before meeting with his lips. "Go now! I want to know."

Xalorad hurried out of the room as if his life was on line. I pressed my hands against my mouth and let out a few squeals of happiness before getting back on the bed and laying down.

A child.

A baby.

Our baby.

What else more could I have asked for?

I felt complete.

A few moments after Xalorad left to get the nurse, my parents walked in and I contained my happiness for a moment. I had to confirm before telling anyone, before bursting out like a balloon.

My Dad and I spoke for a couple of minutes before the nurse walked in and took my blood sample. I whispered Xalorad to say nothing—about the prisoners escaping from hell or my unconfirmed pregnancy. He stayed silent at the corner while I spoke to my parents.

"You should've stayed with me, in Shadowfalls. It's much safer there then compared to this wrecked town with demons lingering everywhere." Dad said, mocking my mate and his entire world. "But I guess it's too late now, isn't it?"

I rose my brow, "What?"

His threw his arm over my shoulder and sighed while shaking his head in disapproval. "The wedding, the mating—you should have given it some time, Marissa."

What?!

"The wedding?" I tried to make sense.

Who was getting married?

Xalorad muttered a low curse as I turned my head to him. The only person who was confused in the room was me.

Dad poked his head out. "You didn't propose to her yet?"

"You were going to propose to me?" I questioned, raising my voice.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr