Chapter 90

Chapter 90

I inhaled the smell of early morning toasts and maple syrups before walking into the kitchen, where I found Mom. She was near to having her morning coffee until I appeared. Placing the hot cup down, she ran to me before wrapping her arms around me.

"Oh, honey, I missed you so much." She kissed my cheeks hard and grabbed my face in her hands while giving me all her affection—something I much needed after the gloom of hell.

My lids were low and red, resulting from the weeping and the sleep I hadn't gotten. Xalorad made the decision that it was better for me if I returned to my Mom and stayed with her till he could arrange something with the Moon Goddess. It still didn't make anything better. My wolf was restless and I was trapped in sadness with only a bit of hope.

"Mom," I sniffed before telling her the details.

Midway through talking, Dad appeared out of nowhere. Assumingly, he was staying in the town and waiting for me to return so he could check up on me before leaving. I had spent more than two nights at hell before coming back. I never wanted to leave Xalorad alone, not even for a minute but he forced me back, telling me it would easier for me to go through this all if I was with my parents.

"That's cruel!" Mom exclaimed after hearing the entire story of the Moon Goddess. "And horrible. You and the Alpha are mates and no one should be able to change that, especially not when you two have accepted each other and mated." She paced around the room, restless and angry over our creator.

Who couldn't be?

The Moon Goddess had the powers to re-write destinies and if she wanted, she could've changed Moms for the better. Barry's abuse and the trauma he gave us wouldn't be lingering over our heads for the rest of our lives. We wouldn't have been hurt if she chose some other man—any man for Mom but she didn't.

"I agree with your mother," Dad said. "She shouldn't be holding this much power in the first place. But don't worry, you'll find your way back and mates or not, who cares? Xalorad still chose you and you chose him." His comforting words bought some peace to my aching head.

If the Moon Goddess wasn't going to reserve this, it wasn't like anything was going to change. I'd just be a little more pain while giving birth to our child as we weren't mated to each other and I'd have to reject whoever the Moon Goddess choose for me. I just had to pray for my wolf to not be fond of the man who'd be our mate.

And I could always ask Xalorad to mark me again.

But that wasn't my only trouble. It was the Moon Goddess and the lengths she might go to keep us apart from each other. Clearly, she was holding some grudge that neither of us knew about.

My head rose to the window above the couch and I found a very familiar car parked outside, under the rain. Wiping away my cheeks, I stood up and said, "I'm going to be back in a bit."

"Of course. But do eat something, Marissa!" Mom exclaimed as I left the house.

The rainwater soaked in my clothes and I stuffed my hands into my pockets before stopping by the car out of my house. There were only two similar cars in the town and while one of them belonged to Xalorad, I clearly knew who the second one belonged to.

I knocked on the window before standing straight. "Are you stalking me?"

"No," Artemis said, hesitation in her voice. "Of course, not!"

I bent down and found Hannah on the passenger seat. She quickly jumped and stated, "We were just worried about you and weren't sure if you were going to blow up or not if we came inside. And, I really missed you so I came here to see if you were doing well."