Chapter 41

It was by twelve in the morning, we—the participants were gathered outside at the football field of our school. It stopped raining an hour ago and while the grounds were wet and the air was still harsh, we were asked to sit outside till a decision was made. The judges were here, along with their assistants and so were the nurses. The first round was initially supposed to start after three, where we would be taken to the zone outside the town and into the deep, dark woods, where we would injection with a liquid to pull our worst fears.

I turned my gaze to the sky while I was guilt-ridden. My fingers were shaking, I wasn't sure whether it was because of the cold or because of the fear of being cuffed and taken into jail for murdering Mr. Barry.

Mom still had no idea. I saw her in the morning, before she left for work. She promised we could talk after the first round was over and she wished the best for me, hoping I'd get through it.

It had been hours since I last saw Lucas. He had left and gone to the Hilford PD where he was going to get some details of Mr. Barry's sudden disappearance.

Hannah, beside me, clicked her fingers in front of my eyes and pulled me out of my thoughts. "What are you thinking?"

"Whether there is a good food in jail or not." I replied, still shaking.

She laughed, "Oh, come on, we both know you aren't going to end up there, even after murdering someone. You're the Alpha's mate." She nudged her elbow into my spine and knocked me to the other side.

"I know, I know but he isn't here." That was the problem. Xalorad wasn't here and until he didn't return, I couldn't stop being scared of the obvious.

The crowd quieted down when the principal of our school arrived at the field. We tried our best to persuade him to start the tournament as it was a tradition of our town but he didn't say anything. We all waited for this moment. Going inside the zone would mean I'd stay away from jail for at least a day as no one could pull our participants unless they wanted to leave.

"Good afternoon, students and officials." The principal said on the mike. His voice boomed across the speakers of the field, grabbing everyone's attention. "Due to the unfortunate circumstances of our Beta's disappearance, we will have to delay the start of this tournament until the Alpha or the Beta returns to Hillford. Till then, the classes will resume—"

My gut knotted, I heard nothing more. In the terrible silence, whispers and grunts rose from the crowd around me. Chatters began. The students didn't agree with the principal. The tournament took place every year on February 4th and ended on February 25th, it was a tradition and a delay was never heard about.

I turned my head to the empty side of the field where I found a woman approaching the principal. Silence fell upon once more. The scent of the woman spread quicker than a flame. She walked with four men behind her, guards, strongest of the strongest.

It was Ms. Cathy Elias, making a second appearance on a public ground, in front of a hundred students and pack wolves.

A buzz went through me and I smiled. She could help me, get in contact with Xalorad or at least send him a message.

"I'll take it from here, Mr. Alfred," She stopped beside the principal and when he moved, she stepped forward and announced. "The tournament of Hollow and Shadows has been a part of our pack since centuries, its victory deciding great warriors and fighters among us. While it's a pity my son and Mr. Barry aren't able to join us for this, their disappearance will not interval with this tournament. It will take place according to its timeline and I will see to any discrepancy caused in the next following weeks as one of the officials."