Chapter 33

I left my Mom alone even though when I knew she still needed me. She was hurt, punished by Dad—or Mr. Barry, using that term was much more easier for me now, especially since I knew the truth. I wanted to go back inside the house and comfort her but she had said some horrible things that I couldn't get off my mind and they hurt me worse.

I wasn't a whore.

I wasn't sleeping or roaming with Xalorad because I was getting a benefit out of him. I was only doing it because he was my mate and while the first night with him was merely exploring my desires, there was still nothing wrong in being with him either way, mate or not.

"Are you here yet?" I slapped the phone on my ears and asked Hannah.

"Almost. Pulling up!"

Her car appeared at the end of the street as I asked her earlier to pick me up from my Mom's place. I just couldn't be with her right now. She was angry, blaming me for everything and we both needed distance. Mr. Barry only came around once, he'd never come again and I was sure about. Mom was safe alone and it was better if she gave some time to herself, away from me.

I could feel my fingertips getting colder while waiting for Hannah who drove slowly. It was torture. By the time the car came into my view, I yelled on the phone, "Why is Lucas driving?"

"He just wanted to hitch along." She replied before closing the call.

The car stopped in front of me and I backed away as Lucas came out while Hannah seated in the passenger seat, doing all good. I shot her a threatening glance and she switched on the radio, completely ignoring me.

"Running away?" Lucas found the bags I had packed just a couple of minutes. There were just a few things I needed—for a week.

"No," I dragged one of the bags and pushed them inside Hannah's car. "I just need a break from my Mom."

"I'll take care of it. Go sit." Lucas stopped me.

As he offered, I went inside the back seat of the car while hitting Hannah in the head for bringing him along. Why? I was still wearing the dress from last night, my face was bare, without any makeup and my hair looked like I had thunderstorm dry it earlier. This was embarrassing.

Lucas loaded the rest of my bags into the car while I made myself comfortable. I couldn't exactly shout at Hannah right away so we only hissed at each other inside the car.

"Why did you get him?" I quickly whispered.

"Because he was at my house, talking to my Dad when I got your call so I got him along." She said, teeth clenched.

I leaned forward and tried to switch off the music but Hannah decided to slap my hand. I slapped her hand back and we got into a quick fight that broke when Lucas came back inside the car and drove off. Calming down, I pressed my back against the seat and looked outside, still breathing roughly.

"So, where are you going to crash?" Lucas asked, breaking the silence between us.

"At Hannah's."

"Dad's at home." She responded, twisting her head back at me. "And he won't like it when he will see you around."

"My house is empty," Lucas suggested, intertwining between us.

"I have a mate." I reminded him, in case he had forgotten.

He nodded, "And I learned that yesterday night! But, if you want to stay somewhere for a few days, you can stay at my place."

I looked up at his face and then shook my head. I couldn't do that. It was wrong in so many ways. Sleeping at my ex's house. I didn't want to create more drama as there was already so much in my life.

Stroking a strand of my hair behind my ear, I cleared my throat and said, "I want a break. I want to get out of here, out of this town, this place." I felt my voice breaking with frustration.

When I called Hannah, I told her everything that happened and she came to my rescue immediately—which meant she gave Lucas all the details as well. He previously was aware about Mr. Barry's abuse, the one he inflicted upon me and Mom but I took a promise from him a year ago to never interfere in my family matters. Pulling in a third person could possibly drive Mr. Barry to do something much worse to Mom and I didn't want to see that happen, even when I was mad at her right now.

"You know you've school, right?" Hannah turned back at me again. Her mascara filled lashes flickered while her gaze trailed across my body, studying my condition. She furrowed her brows and asked, "Are you hurt? You look—bruised."

My leg moved above the other one and I rubbed my hand across my cheek where my Mom had slapped me. "No, I'm not. I'm fine." I motioned her not to worry about the bruises on my wrist as they were in fact of my own doing. "And, yes, I know I have school but that isn't until two days so can someone please drop me off to the nearest airport so I can fly out out here?" I raised my voice and it boomed inside the car.

"Where are you going to go?"

"Somewhere where it's sunny and bright. It's just two days, stop asking so many questions!" I snapped at her.

"Wow, okay. I'm coming too," She threw on her shades and continued, "Life is so hard."

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr