Chapter 80

C

hapter 80

Marissa's POV

A light lit in the depths of my darkness. Fuck. I cursed at myself when I heard the beeping sounds of one of those hospital machines they used when someone was nearing to death.

But unfortunately I was alive again.

I didn't open my eyes up for long. I wanted to savor the silence, the peace. It felt good. I knew Barry was gone—long gone. When the fire grew in the sky, it meant my savior was here.

Pain collected around my jaw and I groaned with anguish before lifting my eyes and finding Xalorad sitting next to me, inside an hospital unit. To my surprise, he was sleeping like he hadn't gotten any sleep in a decade.

My head turned to my Mom who was by the window, sleeping. From the bottom of my heart, I hoped no one told her what went down in the zone and that Barry was there, with me. It would just depress her more than ever, knowing that he could return anytime and ruin our lives again.

"Mom!" I whispered quietly. "Mom." When she made no move, I reached for the nearest light thing I could find inside the room and it was a cup of jelly that the hospital served to sick patients. I picked up the cup and threw it towards her until she woke up.

She jolted up immediately and ran to my side. I hushed her down before she began panicking.

"I'm fine."

"No, baby, you aren't." She whispered back while taking my face in her hands. Tears left her eyes and she came closer. "I was so worried. I'm so sorry, Marissa."

"It's okay. I'm good now." I held her hand tightly and promised her.

There was an odd tension inside my body and it wasn't my wolf's. My body had healed quicker than expected. The only pain I felt was around my face where I assumed to have taken a lot of pressure.

"What happened?" She aggressively brushed the hair away from my face and asked with curiosity.

I sighed, "Nothing. A wolf—someone from my class." She had no idea and I wanted it to stay that way. There was no reason to worry Mom. She had just started to move on from Barry and his death.

"Tell me her name. I'll crack her skull—"

"Mom, it's okay. Really." I grasped onto her hand and stopped her.

We were still whispering to each other. My gaze went back to Xalorad who was still asleep. I was eager to know what had happened and how Barry had the chance to escape from his eternal misery.

"He's been here the whole night. When you came in, you were in a much worse state than now." Mom mumbled as a shadow fell over her expression. Her voice was filled with gloom. "Your Father is here too. I've to go get him."

"What? Why?"

"I told him. He wants to see you."

"Oh..." I sighed out of relief. "Okay."

Mom stood up and walked over to the couch to grab her things. "I'll go freshen up and get him. Do you want something to eat? The food here is horrifying."

I shook my head. "No, just some clothes."

The sheets the hospital provided gave me an itch and I just wanted change as quickly as possible and leave. I had healed and whatever they were injecting inside me was completely unnecessary.

"Okay. Love you." Mom leaned over me and kissed my forehead.

As she approached the door, I requested, "Slam the door hard so someone can stop snoring."

She shared a smile with me before walking out. The bang of the door awakened Xalorad just as I expected it to. Jealousy and anger flared inside me chest as I met with his eyes. A moment later, I turned away from him and stared at the other side of the room. There was a hint of tenderness in me too but I shoved it away.

I still hadn't forgiven him.

"You're awake?" He said beside me and placed his hand over my shoulder.

I rolled my eyes, "No, I'm dead."

"I'm sorry."

I stiffened and turned back to him. "Where is he?"

"Gone."

"Where?"

"Back to where he escaped from." I caught a glimpse of guilt in his eyes and words.

"Is he going to escape again?"

"No, he can't. He's chained to the grounds. I promise he'll never get out again and whatever he did to you, he's paying for it." Xalorad sounded assuring but my heart still wasn't at peace.

I rested my head on the mattress and took a whiff of his scent. It was an harmonious peace, for me. "What about your pregnant girlfriend?" I snapped out, unwrapping my bitter self.

"Don't say that."

"Oh, then? Lo—"

"She's dead."

I slammed my lips shut immediately and uttered nothing more. The word cut through me and stole my breath away. "Wh...what?"

"She wasn't pregnant. It was merely a lie to cause trouble." He explained slowly, dragging his words.

"So, you killed her?"

His fingers brushed against my temple and he nodded, "Yes."

A lump formed in my throat and I scurried away from his touch while still in disbelief. Death was way more than I thought he would do. "You killed her!" I exclaimed. "What is wrong with you?"

"She was ill."

"Like you are not," I moved further back and got off the bed. "Like I am not. Like everyone is not. It doesn't mean you can go ahead and kill anyone. She was an innocent person, Xalorad!" Everything inside me turned cold.

"You're going to get yourself hurt. Get back on the bed, Marissa." He said, ignoring everything else.

"Yeah. Why don't you go ahead and just kill me too?" I asked, spreading my hands in front of him.

A flash of red crossed his eyes before he dragged me back to the bed and tucked me under the sheets as if I was a child. He held my one hand down to the bed and restricted me from running away.

"I wouldn't need to kill you. You're already dead." He whispered to me.

"Fine. Stop! I'm not running." I said, raising my free hand.

He released me and I laid down on the bed, restless and furious. My head throbbed and I snarled at him. "I don't want to stay here. I want to go home."

"And you will...once your levels are checked."

Our eyes met. A thrill sunk into me and I grew warm for a second before another vision violated my head, a worse one. It went all pitch-black and I heard the cries of two wolves, one of them was me, my wolf, she was weeping in sorrow, in loss of what had been snatched away from her.

She had just gotten it—him.

Xalorad clicked his fingers in front of my eyes and I snapped back to the reality. He caught my confusion and asked, "What happened? Did you see something?"

I didn't say a word for a long minute. My head reached up to feel his face. His bristled jaw rubbed against the tip of my fingers. His scent was still luring, the attraction was still here, the connection was still here but something still felt wrong. I pushed my hand towards my neck and felt his mark present.

We were still bonded.

Taking in a heavy breath, I asked, "Are you sure she is dead?"

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr