Chapter 88

Chapter 88

After resolving my past grudges with Barry, I left while feeling nothing in my soul for him. It took me only a moment to wipe away any images or memories of him. After that, he was nothing in my head except for a man I had just crossed paths with.

Johnathan led me back to my room once I was done and then, I was back under the sheets, rubbing my belly till Xalorad's return. I had no idea how long was he going to be gone for but I was willing to wait.

When my eyes closed, I got a quick pleasant sleep until one of those evil visions came knocking down in my head. Although, it seemed different this time.

I was in my wolf form, slurping water off a river I had just found outside the town. The water was natural and cold and as I continued to drink it, the clear taste of it disappeared. My throat turned more parched so I hurried more water in but it made no difference.

After spending minutes, I stopped and turned to leave. My thirst turned into arousal quick when the scent of my mate drifted through the air surrounding me. I inhaled sharply before my wolf went out, looking for him, for our mate who had been running on the same grounds as we were.

A low purr escaped from my mouth when I found him on the other end of the river, waiting for me. Instead of bathing in the water off the river and running to him, he came to me. His eyes were dark and heavy with lust and he moved without making a single sound.

I stayed on my spot as he approached me. His wolf was big and black as an Alpha male's, demanding submission. Tingles shot through my body. My wolf grew excited with every step he took towards us. Heat spread within my body and soul, spreading deeper and deeper.

But when he finally stood in front of me, the world around us changed and anger stormed in me. The over excitement was long gone and it wasn't just mine. The wolf prepared himself to pounce at me, to attack me, to kill me. His eyes gave me a ferocious stare and my wolf returned with the same energy.

I tried to succumb to him but my wolf didn't allow me to. In that minute, she had forgotten he was our mate. She growled at him and he growled back, his voice rattling over mine. I inhaled hard, my lungs swelled and my body shook. He came forward and I moved back in fear of knowing what was going to occur next.

Unable to bear anymore of it, I jolted up and woke up from my sleep. My heart raced and heavy pants escaped my parted lips. Tears filled my eyes. I stared at the wall ahead of me for long, long enough to see the rest of the vision take into action where an ugly brawl took place between my wolf and Xalorad's wolf, where neither of us showed mercy to our wolves.

My entire body trembled and I tore the sheets away from my body before getting off the bed. An excruciating pain struck on my neck and I clasped my hand over it tight only for it to be soaked in blood when I looked at it after a minute.

My eyes narrowed to the sheets and just under the pillows I had been resting on, I found a poodle of blood, my blood.

I screamed hard and loud, grabbing attention of every living soul inside the castle while I pulled the sheets away from the bed. The blood soaked within the mattress and it continued to dripped down from my neck. The pain only lasted for a minute but it was the fear that kept me screaming for help.

I held the white sheets to my chest. The doors on the either side of the room thrusted open. Demons walked in along with Xalorad who had finally returned.

I ran to his arms without a thought while dropping the sheets on the ground. When I touched him, the twitches I usually felt at the ends of my fingers weren't there nor there was any connection left between us.

It was gone.

"It's gone," I cried into his chest. "The mark is gone."

"What?" He sounded surprised. He pulled me away from himself while holding onto my shoulders tight. "What happened?"

"I saw a dream. We were fighting, attacking each other and when I woke up, I was in my own blood. What did you do? Why did you do this?" I questioned, hoping he'd have the answers to them. The mating was the sole reason to all of this mess.

Xalorad went somewhere to get it controlled and just when he returned, his mark over my neck was gone.

"I didn't do this, Marissa. I would never."

Chills raced down my spine. I took ragged breaths as my eyes narrowed in defeat. The mark was one of the only things that mattered to me and it was taken away. This couldn't be possible. Who would even do this? Who was this cruel? There was only one person who had control over our lives, who could take away any unwanted mark if needed.

"She did this," I looked up. "The Moon Goddess. She took away your mark from me. She broke us." The emotions I felt for Xalorad weren't as strong as they were before but they were still there. The bond that tied us together as mates was almost non-existent. My wolf was curled in the corner of inside me, not wanting to appear anytime soon.

Everything was just gone.

Xalorad slipped his hand behind my head and pulled me into his embrace as I cried. Pain continued to recoil in my chest and in my head until he soothed me down.

"Why would she do this?" I asked in a hoarse voice. My knees weakened and before I could hit the floor, he grabbed my waist and sat on the ground with me.

Xalorad's POV

It was everywhere. Her blood. She howled endlessly in pain while I tried to comfort her but there weren't enough words left. She wasn't hallucinating—the mark was indeed gone, the mark I gave her with so much love was nowhere to be seen along with link of our wolves. I was no longer able to sniff out her heat nor feel her suffering.

I moved my hand from her back and gestured the guards inside the room to leave us alone. They walked away immediately and closed the doors behind them.

It had been less than an hour since Father and I returned from the meeting with the other Gods. The Gods weren't pleased after hearing that their mortal world was in danger due to my errors. A plan was carefully laid out after several hours of arguments and none of it included take my mate away from me.

This was a punishment.

My Father walked in through one of the closed doors and he was found startled when his steadying gaze captured the blood and the scene of Marissa crying in my arms.

"Guess everything is balanced now." He murmured under his breath.

"Did she do it?" I asked, quietly.

He scoffed, "Of course. She likes to be in control whenever she wants to. Uh, I knew this was going to happen soon." He peered across the room and shook his head in disappointment. "How else do you think I bought a stop to all this mess?"

Marissa moved aside from me and focused on my Father and his sayings. "But we are mates. She can't do this to us."

He stood above her and replied, "She is the Goddess of the Moon, she can play with any of her children anytime," His eyes landed on mine before the truth followed out of his mouth. "I never bought an end to anything. It was Selene who took your Mother away from me soon after your birth. The balance was restored, the portals were closed and the passengers were forced to return." He placed a heavy hand over my shoulder and continued. "It was the heartbreak I was protecting you from, Xalorad. Your Mother felt nothing and we tried to work it out for years before we decided on parting ways. It was all because of Selene. Why else do you think she was locked up in the dungeons of hell while being a Goddess? She a mad woman."

My jaw locked in rage. "I'm going to kill her."

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr