B2 P57

The eyes that stared back at her couldn't have belonged to her. Coal lined with lashes a mile long. Saera never looked more unlike herself then she did then. But it was really her dress that had her stunned silent. Delicately woven spider silk lace that seemed to glitter and glimmer beneath the barest light.

The dress reminded her of another, one that had meant the beginning to this unfortunate end. It seemed almost wrong that it should miss out on the chain of events it instigated. Her hands ran over smoothing out the nonexistent creases. The fabric was equally delicate to the touch as it appeared to sight.

Saera took a step back, stopping beneath the overhead chandlelier and drew in a ragged breath. The Fae were beyond compare with creations of any kind but this.. this was really something else.

It was however, not her. She swung on her four inches high heels and managed not to wobble up to her phone. Fully charged now and ready for her to make her most important call of that night.

"Massey," her tone wobbled unexpectedly. "It's me."

"Saera!" Her aunt's voice rang out with an edge of desperation she'd never heard before. "Where the hell have you been?"

A son almost broke through at that but she caught it in time. "Um... away. I'll explain later."

"Was it your mom? Did she pull you down to hell? Goddess sake, I always knew she'd pull a stunt like this. And when I scribed for you and couldn't find a trace, I knew she'd have her grubby mitts all over this."

"I was not in hell. At least not yet. Although I do plan on visiting. Something soon." Saera returned brokenly. Her life was turning into a living hell, why not pay a visit to the real deal. It couldn't possibly be worse of than this.

Her aunt's muffled groan was heavy over the line. "This was always meant to happen, Saera. You're shunned, they could never have wed you for real. I mean, not openly."

"But I won't be their dirty little secret either," Saera got out in return. "I won't be the one they indulge in on the side. Not anymore."

Massey's sigh was audible. "What do you plan to do? You can't stop it."

"I don't want to. I don't yet know what I want to do but I need your help with something."

"What do you need?"

"Could you open the lid to my trunk?" Her question came out almost sheepish and the pregnant pause that followed on the other side of the line was meaningful.

"Consider it done." Massey finally whispered. "Know whatever happens, I will always be here for you, Saera."

Saera widened her eyes at that willing to stop the tears that threatened to roll down her cheeks. "I know mum. You're the mother I never had."

A muffled sob echoed across the line, but this time it was not hers. And then the line went dead. Saera slowly lowered her hand, her senses reaching out silently across the night, till she finally felt it. The lid to her trunk was swept open. Massey had done it.

Now all she had to do was....