Part 37

Saera, stood there flabbergasted by what she was hearing and almost didn't move away in time when the voices moved closer to the door.

"How do I look?" Amelia asked her mother, pausing by the door and jolting Saera out of her shock. She scuttled away to try another door and without thinking, simply flung it open and scrambled in. Her door clicked shut just in time and then she could hear the two women making light conversation as they ambled along the hallway in unhurried strides. Saera turned then to scowl at the room she found herself in. It was not empty. But whoever occupied it was not in sight.

Without hesitation, she turned the knob behind her and quietly let herself back out. She was panting out of breath when she faced the door the two ladies exited once more. She'd grown rusty. A couple of days with access to power and she thought herself invincible. There was no other explanation for such carelessness. Nick would have been laughing his ass off and rightly so.

Narrowing her eyes, she gripped the knob to the door and turned it with grim determination. She wasn't entirely sure what she'd just heard but it hadn't sounded good, no matter which way she looked at it. If anyone deserved to have their dress snatched, it was the occupants of this room.

The door was locked.

And it wasn't just the usual key-in-the-hole lock but the magical kind as well. A strong magical kind. They kind that would have her shitting bricks trying to break through. Damn it!

But she was a Saera, and a Shore at that. There was no  two ways about it. She was taking that door down and they damn well better have a frock worth wearing behind it... and one that fit as well.

Squeezing her eyes shut, she narrowed her focus and felt the palpable magic that shield the door. It was a solid construct. One that spelt old power. Cursing under her breath she thought back to all the Shore journals and spellworks she pored over the past few years and found a few workable solutions. But only if she applied it all right.

One of the things she would be thought at the academy was how to channel as and mould raw power into spells. What she would never be thought there was how to not only access that raw power but use it raw. The Shores had all that covered in their hidden journals. It was clear, at least to Saera, that whatever done that earned the Shores a shunning had been decidedly deserved. They were not one for following the herd. Rule breakers they were all in all.

With a shrug, she pressed a palm to the door, and simply allowed her power to course through overwhelming the spell work that sealed it shut. Flooding out power wasn't a done thing for the usual reason, it drained the witch involved. And for a normal witch, it should, but she was not normal.

Twisting the knob, she pushed the door open and thankfully faced an empty room. If she hadn't, her excuses were on the ready. The old lost guess mixing up her rooms would do it. Unless she was caught ruffling through belongings that is. Straining her senses she sighed to find the ensuite was clear as well. Making her way to the walk-in robe, she flicked through the selection of dresses with bored impatience until her gaze was arrested on a pale pink creation that just melted her mind into mush.

The dress was divine.

Her mouth watered.

Without thinking twice, she reached for it and was off in calm unhurried steps as she made her way back to the frantic princes.

With a dramatic flare, she flung the door to Svennett's room wide and with an exaggerated bow presented her find with a flourish.

"Ta da!"

"You're fucking crazy," Darr snarled at her before pouncing to grab her arm in a firm grip.

Saera laughed. "Come on let's go! With a dress like this, I will need to do my hair." She thrust the dress forward, waving it at their faces.

Shaking his head, Darr exchanged a scowl with Svennett before thrusting her to him. A snort later and Darr was gone. A grunt later and they were too.