Part 33

"Fucker!" Hissed Darr, as soon as he stepped through the portal. "You could have said where you were heading off to."

"Follow your soul, Darr. Practice. You need this." Svennett returned calmly.

Darr growled in return.

Saera moved to sit her ass down on the firm bed. She eyed the room once more, taking in the gilt edge furnished, the burnt amber colouring and the distinctively floral scent to the place and her hackle raised.

"This," she said waving an encompassing hand, "looks nothing like you." Svennett stared back deadpan.

"Good. Glad I look nothing like a room."

Saera frowned. "Floral scent!" She pointed out, almost seething with the flash of unexpected jealousy that pulled her under.

"Housekeeping!" Returned Svennett, only this time with a knowing smirk.

Saera tore her gaze way from the penetrating darkness of his. She clenched down her teeth at jealous rage and shrugged it off with a will made of steel. Whatever their discussion was going to wield, one thing for sure she was going to hammer home was some ground rules. They were hers and that was it. The notion of owning these two men sweeping her senses almost made her giddy.

"Alright," she breathed out, deciding to cut her train of thoughts before it got ahead of her. "What is this all about? Why did you... both, marry me?"

Svennett moved to the centre of his room and sank down onto his haunches, before easing lower to fold his flexible limbs into a yoga pose. Sitting cross legged on the floor should have made him look smaller, less impressive and certainly less threatening to her, sitting on the bed lording it over him. But the effect on his part was pure power.

Nothing could make this man look lesser than what he really was. A force to reckon with.

"You must have wondered, why Darr is a vampire? Why he still has access to magic despite being a vampire?" He began conversationally. "Darr perhaps this part is yours to explain."

Darr glowered at his friend and turned back to fix his gaze on her. It was something she noted he often did. Stare at her with an unnerving intensity.

"We met when the Darklings first came to the Academy for the tournament between factions. Twenty years old, just as you are now." The words leaving his lips as his gaze unfocused on hers, losing himself to his memory.

"I was the spoilt pallid prince and Svennett the spoilt darkling prince."

"I was never spoilt." Svennett corrected him.

"Brat prince then." Darr shrugged indifferently. "We hated each other's guts on sight."

"We did." Svennett concurred.

"The student body banded around us, darklings with their dark prince and pallids with me, pretty much as they are doing now. We encouraged the animosity. It was good for competitive spirit and we each wanted to win."

"The tournament is an annual event. And that year was the first we took it down to a whole new competitive level. There was bloodshed and lines were drawn." Put in Svennett, recalling the time with a rueful grin.

"That first year set the tone for the next and the next after," added Darr, his eyes glinting on Svennett's.

"Who won?" Questioned Saera interestedly. At that both Princes turned on her with a discouraging grunt.

"It was in my last year at the academy," said Darr. "I was getting frantic." He whispered, unwittingly answering her  earlier question. Saera grinned. "I had to do something. Try something I hadn't before." Darr shrugged. "We were covering sacrifice at classes that term. White sacrifices. One that does not taint the soul. I couldn't afford a smut on mine, not of I wanted to remain the pallid Prince."