Part 49

Darr seethed in barely restrained anger. That kiss played on his mind. It had been no ordinary buss between strangers or an unfeeling peck between acquaintance either. That had been full blown out passion. Something he thought Saera shared only with himself or Svennett. Who was this man she was kissing? And more importantly, why was he stalking her every step? His glare narrowed with some menace at the smirking shadow tailing after her. The clinical side of him appreciating the level of stealth but the rest of him was too seething to give a damn.

Darr allowed Saera to close in on the road to her mansion and when  she took the final turn off he didn't linger. Using his vamp speeds to maximum advantage, he shot forward to clobber the unsuspecting man not just for the ogling after but the daring to touch his woman.

His fist came out of no where but somehow the guy dodged the blow. Darr growled his displeasure, the human was probably amped up on potion power. Fuck. But he was never one to back down from a challenge. He lifted his game, this time treating the human as a worthy adversary. Limbs clashed and met, fists grappled and locked, before disengaging and beginning all over again. But where Darr did not tire so easily the human was not so fortunate. His knee rose to smash against his jaw before he followed through with a round house kick that landed the man in a ditch.

Not wanting to be recognised, Darr didn't linger and instead took off to Svennett's to share the news of this latest developments with their mutual wife.

Saera sighed with some relief at the sight of the mansion looming up before her. Home had never looked so inviting. But she could barely drag her feet forward to close in the remaining distance. Sounds in the bushes nearby had her turning back and scanning her surroundings but the scuffles, if that was what it was, sounded in the distance. She turned back to focus on getting home, adrenaline pumping in at the disturbance. She didn't want another altercations with thugs that night. And certainly not when the safety of home was only a stone's throw away.

Another crunch sounded in the bushes, this time closer by. Saera turned to glance into the overgrown shrubs that littered the untravelled lane that led up to the Shore property.  It was the only lane in this neighbourhood that was unkempt, overgrown with weeds and just a tangle of vines and shrubs. The rest of  Witchaven was elaborately groomed lawns, herb gardens and greenhouses amongst tennis courts, swimming pools and well trimmed hedges.

On either side of the Shore lands were the Irene's and the Stephanie's. Witch brethren normally named their houses based on the most powerful witches of their clans. All witches will honour that witch by taking on their name as a surname. Lisa Irene used to be a friend of Saera's before she grew old enough to know better. And back in those younger years, Joseph Stephanie used to be a wizard friend of hers, until he too knew better. Although, Saera suspected his disappearance was more to do with his move away from his mother's home to join his father's, as the wizards were made to do when reaching the tender years of ten. The wizarding schooling begun about then too.

Saera jogged past the rusty gates to the Shore property and instantly felt the protection spells laid into the cornerstones from generation of Shore witches click into place shrouding her in its protection. Saera sighed in relief and when her steps took her past the overgrown greenery that surrounded the wishing well on their property, she turned away. Memories of the good times spent in Lisa and Joseph's company around that well was painful enough to have her turning away each time she went by.

The call of the mansion, and the comfort of her bed drew her feet forwards, quickening her steps till she  was moving up the winding lane faster than she would have expected. A moment later and she was letting herself in and the cold morning chill with her. That chill followed her up the many stairs and then down the many empty corridors before pausing at her door waiting to be admitted in. Saera swept aside the door with a loud creek and taking two steps in flung herself into the rock like mattress hardened with age.

With a grunt and a groan, she fell off into deep sleep.