Part 10

"Come on girls, there's no way I am sharing a dorm with a Shore. What was Dean Lore thinking?"

Saera watched the scrawny redhead, Lyra lead her pack off to see the dean and collapsed onto her bed. Her tired gaze drank in the vast empty chamber that didn't look empty enough, even devoid of the rest of its occupants. Reaching for her bag, she pulled out her phone and called her mother.

"Hi," she said when her call was answered.

"You made it in?" Asked Massey.

"Yes," said Saera.

"Any trouble?"

Saera pursed her lips consideringly and thought of the the socialite princesses who would be occupying her dorm with her.

"Nothing I can't handle."

There was a moment's pause on the other end of the line before Massey spoke again.

"He called you know. Your husband."

Hearing that made her realise just why she had called her mother. To find out if the man who married her contacted her in any way.

"What did he want?" She breathed out, ignoring the sudden thudding of her heart.

"Your number."

"Did you give it?" She demanded softly, annoyed at the crumbs her mother offered.

"Yes."

"He knows I am here?"

"He does."

"Well then," whispered Saera uncertainly.

"Yes."

Saera rolled her eyes. Her mother was not the most forthcoming of persons but this was ridiculous. Deciding to change the topic, she told her of that morning's assembly.

"What are you going to do?" Massey murmured with some concern.

About what? The war against monsters? The return of the royals? The pest of a socialite, who not only knew of her thieving past but her entire family's tragic history? Deciding not to explain her lack of plans to address any of it, Saera said instead, "I'm going to find myself some breakfast and then explore the grounds. My classes begin tomorrow."

"Yes, of course, my dear. Call me if you need me." Massey's voice rang off softly from the other end and then line went dead.

Saera sighed knowing her mother was the worst with making pleasantries over the phone.

Tossing her phone aside, she curled up into a ball to mope before her gaze fell on the clock on the wall. Breakfast would be over soon if she didn't hurry. Pushing off the bed, she grabbed her phone and the campus map then jogged her way out of the Giddon House.

The cafeteria was large and well equipped. But its sterile environment was not inviting. The place was however nearly deserted and that was a good sign. Grabbing a tray, she filled it up with food she'd never been fortunate enough to indulge in. She did that now, knowing the food came with the lodgings and it was all paid for by the government. Magic users did not make up the vast majority of the population. They're battles on the front line endangered them even more. Outside the witchling society she knew she was treasured commodity. Even if her own kind treated her like dirt.

Shovelling fork full of bacon and eggs and gulping it all down with hit chocolate, Saera was for the moment transported to heaven.

It was a filled stomach later that led her slowed pace back to the dorms deciding to forgo the rest of the tour in view of catching up on lost sleep. The dorm was thankfully still empty and Saera went under as soon as her head hit the pillow.

It was the hushed whispers about her that woke her up a while later. The others were back and clearly scheming. A splash of water right in her face told her she'd been too late to do anything about it. Shooting upright with a scowl to demolish all other scowls, she levelled it at the giggling girls about her. Then with a sigh knowing this was just another thing she had to deal with, Saera rose to her feet and ran a drying spell over her hair, clothes and bed. Steam rose up and a moment later, she gathered her shorts and T-shirt, deciding to take a slow jog about the campus grounds before dinner.