Part 24

"Society evolved from that point. Seeing their greatest seizing power from the sacrifice of witches, there were many who sought to emulate Edward Shore's plan." Professor Hewbert, stopped chuckling with some difficulty and drew himself up pompously as he peered down his hooked nose at the many witches, pallids and darklings alike, that sat before him. This was a segregated class still, but Saera doubted it would remain do next week. Then she'd have to endure both the witches and wizards taking every opportunity to belittle her.

"But they failed miserably. Each and every attempt to sacrifice witches for greater powers fell short. The wizards  achieved only momentary gratification for their efforts. None was as strong as Edward Shore not only became with the Salem sacrifice but remained long after, until his untimely demise."

At that, Saera's lips split in a knowing smirk, but she wanted to her the public retelling of the incident that brought an end to the most wicked wizard of all time. "If he was so powerful, how did he die?" She questioned sweetly, widening her eyes to complete the look of pure innocence. She may have over done it when Lyra Bitch shot her a puzzled look.

But he gambit worked and the professor promptly latched onto the opening she'd left... well, open.

"It's not really known what became of  greatest wizard of all time. There are many rumours surrounding his unfortunate death. But one commonly agreed understanding was that  gaining that much power did not come with its own repercussions. A wizards physiology is not meant to house that much power. Edward Shore aged prematurely and then one day he simply died."

He had part of that story right. Edward had aged prematurely, it was the curse of taking on an unwilling bride. Something few knew was even possible. And fewer still had the power to make it happen. Great great... endlessly great grandmother Shore was one very powerful witch. She not only outlived Edward but deliberately used his name and his offspring along with other's, to create the first line of powerful witches. Edwards offsprings from Sara had been two sister witches. Something he had been appalled to note. He'd denied their existence in public eye. And the world understood him to have demised without an offspring to carry his name.

"But we are discussing the evolution of witches and marriages not the most powerful wizard to have ever existed," said Professor Hewbert with a clear reprimand in his gaze.

Saera dutifully dropped her own in a bashful manner and the professor went on with his narrative.

"The birth of marriages between witch and wizards, oddly enough had a lot to do with you, Ms Shore. And the reason you are shunned by the rest of the witchling and wizard society alike," he declared dramatically, drawing the venomous glares of every witch to be pinned on her. To every witches thinking that right there was reason enough for a Shore to be shunned. It was probably the reason why no one bothered to delve into the matter deeper.

"But before we get into that time period, we need to understand the histories leading up to it. The build up to the event that would change the lives of witches and wizards alike for all time." He paused for yet another dramatic effect and spun on his heels to pace back to the front of the class, clearly enjoying the impatience with which everyone's eyes were pinned on him.

"Post Salem and the unfortunate demise of Edward Shore, the attempts to retrieve power via the sacrifice of witches halted. No one thought the cost of accelerated aging was a price worth paying for all the power in the world."

Saera found herself drawing a relieved breath, even though she knew the histories to come wasn't that much better.

"Wizards found that sexual relations with a witch, willing or otherwise gave them power enough of a power surge to accomplish most spells and potion they desired. Witches were captured and enslaved for just this purpose. Some humans too, those unfortunate enough to be labelled as a witch. With the real witches all but gone into hiding, the poor wizards ended up capturing and copulating with more of the later than the former."