Part 43

The stroll through the dark was oddly relaxing. The night blanketed the skies and the streets with only the moon lighting the way. Saera walked beneath the  street lights spaced far apart. She cast unworried eyes into the shadows concealing the leering eyes of a predator to a pray. They were mostly like her, thieves lying in wait, or at worst rapist at large.

The later would have spooked her in the past, but now she was not only equipped with her knives, she had her  powers to help her out of a tight spot. Her lips widening in an open grin, Saera couldn't help wondering how much her life had changed with just a birthday... well a marriage and a birthday... or two marriages and a birthday.

Her boot scraped across gravel as she made her way over to the other end of town. While the Shore estate was located at the prestigious end of the city, the black market was not. And that just made for a long tiring journey on foot. But she got there not a moment too soon. Pausing at the beginning of the lane that would take her in, she spared a glance at the low lifes that had fell in line escorting her this far.

"If you wanted to snatch this is it guys. Once in there you'll have your battle picked out for you," Saera announced out into the dark. A number of shuffling feet were her only response.

"You came back?" A voice deep and growly rumbled out of the dark. "The boss won't be expecting you. What with you  being all married and what not now."

Saera stared at the shadows concealing the man who spoke. Her suspicions drawing a furrow to her brow. "Jake?"

"Forget me already," said the man stepping out of the dark. He was tall, lanky and had a mean left hook. Saera's hand went gingerly to her jawline, having felt that fist before first hand. Jake suffered no fools and Saera was sadly plenty foolish when it came to most things.

"I wish I did," she muttered dryly.

His answering chuckle was dark. "The boss is gonna love this."

Saera grimaced. She could imagine.

"The rich bitch is back... as a witch." He paused dramatically at the play of words then broke out laughing. Saera grimaced harder. She was not rich. But she did own and live on a hundred million dollar property. Hence the need to steal. The taxes were a killer. But the last of the Shores couldn't afford to lose the mansion. It was all they had. It held their roots, their heritage. Steeped deep in its sand stone walls.

Saera shrugged. It was no secret amongst this lot that she was a witchling. It was also not a secret that she was shunned.

"That your own brew you hauling?" He nodded to the bags slung over her shoulder.

Saera shrugged again. "Some," she said grudgingly. She didn't own him any answers. Jake was one of the best at what he did. And they pitted wits against each other more than once. Wits and fists. Saera tended to come out lacking across both.

"Bet your mum made them for you," he added tauntingly. "If that broad isn't an MILF, I don't know what is."

Usually his taunting efforts received a swift response, but Saera was oddly tired of it all. She'd had a shit life and the last few weeks while spaced out between moments of high were also daringly depressing. She'd lost all hope of ever making it past her birthday as a full blown witch. She'd exerted her efforts looking for loop holes around it. And while the surprise wedding had created a sense of relief across all of that. It hadn't been without its own set of worries and problems. The princes were a good fuck but at the end of the day, they were just using her for their own means. She was just greatfull that means weren't of the naferious kind.

"Go bother someone else Jake, I've had a long day," she bit out roughly. It was not the best thing to say. Jake, like most humans who hated the existence of her kind, hated her. That feeling was however, mutual.

"You can bet your sweet ass, the boss is going to make it all seems a whole lot longer." With a grunt of dislike, he stepped back into the shadows and Saera hauled her bags up against her shoulder tighter before setting off down the lane.