Part 81

"You will wed." Queen Lavithe stated with calm expectations. "To whom I say. When I say."

Darr growled low in his throat. The rumble left his lungs in an unearthly sound that served to call his mother up short. She turned to stare at him incredulously. Completely unaware of the volatile beast she poked at. He was not her servant. He had never been subservient to her demands. And he saw no need to start fall flat on his face at her feet now. Instead the urge to break loose and run free was almost overwhelming.

"Darr?" His mother cocked her head to study him incredulously. Her mouth fell open a little as the rumbling sounds intensified. He had to get out of there and quick before his face contorted and his teeth elongated. Then she would know exactly what she was dealing with. What her son had become. She would also know what she desired of her son was impossible. His feet hesitated at the last thought to cross his mind. Perhaps the time had come to reveal all. Darr shifted uncertainly on his feet. But then he abruptly spun on his heels and simply left.

"Darr? Darr!" His mother unexpectedly raised her voice after him. "Come back here. I am not done with you."

But Darr didn't pay her any heed.  He already felt the change coming over his features and bent his head low hoping his hair offered enough coverage as he determinedly strode away from his mother. The urge to get away was almost overwhelming. It was all he could do to not simply vamp out and take off down the road... never to return to this hell.

His breath came out in soft pants, but the frantic pacing of his heart did nothing to calm him. Darr made his way through the elaborately decorated rooms of the queen's private suite and on out past the guards into the main hallways. His panic darkened gaze stretched out over the fabric covered walls, fleeting over the portraits of his ancestors in an aimless search for relief. But there is none of that to be had in these halls. None to be had in the palace period. The place was not often equated to a mausoleum for nothing. The building was even more ancient than the Darkling palace. There had once been only one royal family and Darr was a direct descendant of that line of blue bloods. The palace he walked out of had been built in thirteen hundred. It was all stonework and gargoyle protected. The wards were ancient and therefore doubly strong.  Put in place by his ancestors who at that time we're more druids and warlocks then witches and wizards. Their art form was now lost. But the pillars of these walls still stood an unbreakable fortress. And the wards still hummed with the powers of its makers, shored up time and again by each and every ancestor born onto these grounds. Himself being, sadly, the last of the line.

With that depressing thought, Darr stepped out from a darkened side entrance and under the sunlit skies. He paused then dragging in a deep breath before he used his enhanced senses to scan in his surroundings. Then with a burst of speed, he shot out into the forest. Disappearing into its thick folds as he sped his way to the only place that made sense. A place he should have called home. A place that owns him every bit as much as the darkling prince did.

The Shore mansion. The place that held his one true wife.

Darr brushed past sharp twigs and branches, feeling none of its bite and sting as he hurried his way over needing to set sights on Saera.

"Leave her be." Svennett had said. "Let her come to her senses and she will come crawling back to us. Begging we take her back in."

Darr still didn't know what world he had been living in to actually believe any of that. Saera was never coming back. Now that she had not only an alpha but his entire pack to call her own, she would never need to. The mutts would give her what she'd always longed for most. Friends. She would never be simply a shunned amongst them. She would be with family.

Darr ran an agitated hand through the blond highlights to his hair. His strides lengthening as he glided over the rough forest floor with otherworldly grace. In no time at all he was there streaking past the neighbouring properties to draw to an abrupt halt. His senses had risen to hyper alert when he breezed past the solitary road leading up to the Shore mansion but he was not entirely right in his headspace as he drifted along. His thoughts obscured by carnal images of Saera as he'd seen her last. Covered in sweat and panting out his name as he drove into her with steady thrusts that swiftly spiralled out of control. He could feel himself harden with the anticipation of seeing her again.

Saera. Her name left his lips on a soft pants. And with the next few steps Darr took he breached the Shore perimeter lines and came to an abrupt halt.

The rustle in the trees was his only warning before the wolves pounced out of the shadows ferociously snapping their teeth and growling out a warning.