B2P41

Her heart thudded painfully in her chest as all eyes pinned her where she stood. But she held her ground and held Nick's dad's gaze.

He kept his own gaze on her, his crinkled grey eyes looking world weary and fatigued. Then he nodded sharply to the man besides Saera. A hand was proceeded and Saera hesitated before reluctantly releasing her hold on all she had to remember Nick by. Blinking back the tears, she inhaled sharply and then let it go.

The silence lengthened but Saera hesitated to leave just yet. She wanted to talk to his dad. She wanted to talk about Nick. The need to know more about who he was... had been, was almost overwhelming.

"You've delivered the bag. You can leave now."

Her eyes stung not expecting that. Not from him. But it made sense, if he really did know she was to be blamed for his son's death. Nodding her head, too choked up to do more, her empty satchel slung over her shoulder, Saera turned to leave.

She was almost to the door, when a sudden rippling sensation from behind had her spinning and dropping off into a crouch. The group stood where they were still glaring at her and unmoving. But Saera knew what she'd felt and she was not about to play up to their bullshit.

"Let me go," she said, suddenly frightened of the attack she couldn't see.

Nick's dad frowned. "You're free to go."

"Am I?" Saera returned, not impressed by the attempt to placate her.

"Yes, you are."

"Look, I know what I felt. If you're going to attack me at least have the balls to do it to my face."

They exchanged looks, supposedly confused by my words but she saw it this time, that ripple in the air. The shield spell was quickly spat out even as an invisible heat wave slammed right into it.

The air really did ripple then. It rippled to reveal an Elven girl. One Saera was more than familiar with. Nick's second in command. Linda, who had always hated her guts and vice versa.

"He was mine, you bitch!" She snarled at Saera. "He was always my intended. You took him from me. You're the reason he's dead."

Saera's shield wavered then it crumbled along with her face as she sank onto her knees and wept. Why was everything so wrong in her life? Perhaps, Linda had it right. Perhaps the way forward for her was also the way out.

A muttered curse rang out, then a heated exchanged followed and then Saera found herself cradled in a pair of strong arms scenting strongly of cinnamon. She looked up into eyes that were no longer crinkled, and a face that were no longer weathered. Infact, it's was all completely unrecognisable from the man who had rated Nick as a human.

"You're... you're, not... his dad...
are you?" Saera managed through the hiccups that followed.

"Nick's dad is dead. Has been for a long time."

He, whoever he was, was fay. Saera scented hard. Full-on Elven freaking fay.