B2 P63

Rain thundered down on the palace grounds and flashes of lightening lit up the night skies to reveal only endless darkness. But indoors, Saera remained oblivious to it all as she stood there staring after the spot that once held Darr in place. He was no longer there. He was gone. And he had come here just for her.

Her heart ached heavy with hurt and her eyes stung with the tears she withheld.

"Dance?" Ash's softly voiced words were just the thing she needed. His hands wrapping about her waist next an anchor that grounded her back into the present. But what really worked was his lips that brushed over her forehead.

Her feet moved to accompany his and before she knew it she was brushing along the outskirts of the dance floor before being swept right in. The world revolved then round and round and her feet flew beneath her. The heavy stillness to her heart lightened and her gaze held fixed against Ash's familiar and yet not Assassin hues. She wished she were staring into his true gaze. But she knew that was not meant to be.

Not yet anyway.

The music ended bringing their feet to a halt and with unspoken mutual agreement they stepped off the dancefloor. She was not here to have fun. Even if she ever could have one of those again. She was here to find a Prince. A prince who appeared to be strangely absent from his own ball.

Ash fetched her a drink just as her lips grew as parched as her gaze seeking out Svenneth and not finding him. But then suddenly he was there, his gaze fixated on hers, stilling the beat of her heart before setting it to thunder off to what had to be an unnatural beat of teripidation. 

Svenneth moved like a predator hunting his prey as he strode through the crowd, slick and determined making a beeline for her. All until someone else attracted his gaze. All until his gaze narrowed down then fixated unflinchingly on Ash. Ash who had his hands on her

Saera drew in a shaky breath, suddenly realising she couldn't do this. Not without turning into a watering pot of snot and sobs. She turned on her heels hastily to leave only to stop at the sound of his voice calling out her name.

"Saera, wait."