Part 66

Alpha Cade of the wetlands, never had much to his name. Jerked around by the wizarding society and made a mockery of by the witches, Cade had not the land nor the tribe of followers an alpha could be proud of. Even though he was reduced to being everyone's errand boy, he was still  no one's fool.

Cade eyed the treasure who walked before him with such careless disregard to not only her well-being in his company but her well-being I'm general. The woman was sleeping outdoors for hell's sake. And she was being hunted by two of the souls linked to her own. Knowing that should have stopped his thought process right there, but he knew how the wizarding community worked. He knew what disregard they had for their witchling counterparts. The mating ceremony for them was a joke.  Instead of living their lives cherishing their other half, they bind only to dominate and torment.

Something he couldn't envision of the spirited woman before him. Perhaps she was not wrong in trying to hide from her other half, but his were not the only tribe of weres to have no proper land to call their own. With nothing more than the wetlands to call home, they were still better off than all the rogue wolves out there, willing to do anything for money and go feral trying to make things work. Had any of them taken the hunt, Saera would not be walking towards her Princes's on her own two feet.

The very thought of the danger she had been in let a protective growl lose from his throat. Saera glanced warily over her shoulder at him, then. But that wariness should have been executed a lot sooner and not just by Saera but by the Princes's who hired his service. They obviously didn't know what treasure they had in her and he was just the right person to enlighten them.

Cade moved ahead in a loping strides changing form as he reached the door. He was striding in a moment later ready to confront the Princes's but they were expecting him. Pushing past to file out of the dorm and stare her down as she made her way in. Unperturbed by all the testosterone flexing around her.

Unhappy at being overlooked, Cade stepped up Infront of her determined to draw the attention of the two Princes. He'd done odd jobs for both Princes's in the past but never had he seen them behaving like this. Their gaze trained on Saera to the point of ignoring all else. Cade's own silver gaze stared almost transfixed at Saera's careless disregard of the two princes. Never had he ever seen a person of power behave like this. Or anyone else for that matter. The Princes's dripped power that went beyond their spellcasting abilities. They were bred to rule. To dominate over the rest and they did all that and more.

A gleam of excitement lit a fuse long snuffed out within Cade. He had to stifle his breath to hold back the tell tale signs of his rising excitement. He had to strike hard and fast to make his  mark before anyone was on to him. But first, he had to test the waters.

"Step aside, Cade." Prince Svennett's words made the first move.

"Why do I smell you all over her, Prince Svennett? You and Prince Darr." Cade questioned.

"We've been known to share our women. So what?" Prince Darr answered instead. His careless shrug doing nothing to hide the scent of his intentions. The vampire hid his secret from everyone but he couldn't hide from an alpha. Cade cringed at the thought of Saera sharing a soul with a vampire. While the prince, for some reason, was an original but not  undead, that meant nothing. They were old blooded murderers. Vampires were soulless and yet, the prince still had access to his.

Cade grunted in annoyance. "I can smell the soul link... links."

"Yes, our wolf here is an
Alpha, Darr. We can't exactly hide things from him," corrected Prince Svennett, turning to smirk at his friend. "Still I see no reason to enlighten you any further either. Thank you for your time, Alpha Cade. As always you will be adequately remunerated for your services."

Cade gave him a hard stare. Then turned it to Prince Darr, who only smirked in return. His attention already redirected to get stuck back on Saera. Finally, Cade turned his attention to the witch. Studying her intently in the well lit room. He could see her features clearly now. The waves to her brown hair that had leaves and twigs stuck in it. The pout to pink lips that spelt her unhappiness. The turn to her elegant nose that spoke volumes of what she really thought about the two princes. And then he settled on the fiery depths of her amber green gaze. Surprised to find them fixed on not the two prince but on him.

There was a quiet unspoken challenge in their depths. Something that prodded he step closer. He did. And found himself almost drowning in their fiery gold green depths. He wasn't sure when it happened exactly, but pretty much like when her knife left her grip and sank into poor Mathias, the same way his own instincts kicked in. Wild, unruly and demanding his way. With lightning speeds even Prince Darr would envy, Cade's hand flexed out to grasp Saera's vulnerable neck. Then with a twist to his body, he was on her.

His canine breaking free to sink beneath the skin, into the curve of her  throat where her neck met her shoulders. The bite was feral and the growl that came with it victorious.

Mate.

The bite wouldn't take if they were not true mates, but Cade had lived long enough to know the difference. He knew she was made for him. She was made for them. She was made to save them all.