B2 P67

A shout rang out in the dark, then another. Darr was clearly on a blood gorging rampage. The secret was finally out. The pallids court lost its Prince.

They made it almost half way across the palace grounds before the palace guards were upon them.

"Halt!" The guards called out a warning. But a warning was all they needed to turn the tide in their favour. Or at least it was all Ash needed. Saera was still pretty out of it. Limp in his arms as he hauled her on out. But that did not dissuaded him from joining the frey with everything he had. And everything he had was plentiful enough before more guards poured in around them. How had the palace this many guards to spare with their prince loose on an all out rampage.

A deep growl in the dark told him reinforcements had arrived. The wolf that had been following them since leaving the Darkling Prince has finally made it past the palace guards. No doubt because they all surrounded Ash now. Arms outstretched and lips moving, muttering some ineffective chant. They clearly had not a clue as to who they were dealing with. Perhaps he should have retained his Assassin visage. That at least would have given them some warning to expect nothing less than total annihilation.

"Seize her!"

At that call out, Ash angled his head to study the woman that strode past the guards. The palid Queen herself. "Seize the Shore witch!"

The angry snarl that rumbled out of the woods had them all turning. Ash didn't hesitate but used the distraction that the pouncing wolf offered to let loose a few well aimed magical blows. Downing even more of the guards and evening out the playing field.

"You don't want to be making an enemy of me, Elvan," said the Queen, her voice enhanced to carry over the crowd.

Ash stilled, certain his disguise still well and truly concealed his form but confused all the same.

"I am not an imbecile. The Elvan spelling differs greatly from that of a mage."

Not many remained that could tell them different, but apparently the queen knew enough of his kind to know of that difference. That did not induce the warm and fuzzies. He had not come here to kill but clearly the Queen now had to die.