B2P49

His fingers tightened reflexively. Release his mate? Impossible. But Nana didn't know Saera was his mate. Would she still demand he released her if she  did? Ash wasn't so sure anymore. He hadn't really considered the matter in bringing Saera here. He hadn't at all been functioning as he should on meeting her. She was the first Earthling he'd brought over to Faery. And he hadn't even known she was mate when he did it. Or at least he hadn't consciously known.

Would he have done things differently if he had? Could he do things differently? Ash looked down at the woman fitted snug in his arms and found her frowning at his Nana. The urge to simply shift them both away that instant was overwhelming. But Ash refrained with some difficulty. This had to happen. His Nana had to know.

Perhaps she would even be accepting. It has been his Nana's greatest desire to see him mated. She'd thrown every single Elven at him from the day he came of age for that very reason. Surely she would be glad to know her search for his mate is at its end. For she stood there right before her in his arms.

But the glint of red in his Nana's eyes had him gulping. He'd never seen her that angry. Never at him.

"Take me back."

The softly spoken words sent a shiver down his spine and his hands clenched reflexively. No doubt bruising in its intensity. Ash grimaced and very deliberately relaxed his fingers. Then he straightened his spine. There was no going back for her not now that she was his mate. Saera belonged here with him and his Nana was simply going to have to accept it.

"Nana," said Ash, his voice firm and even admonishing. "That is no way to talk to my mate and the future Princess of Feary."

The fierce molten core of his Nana's gaze thawed. "Now now Evans, let the little Earthling go. Why don't I call Lady Hanivi over and you two can talk."

Ash frowned at his Nana. It was as clear to him as it probably was to Saera that Nana thought him insane. And perhaps he was, leading a land without a nation could do that to a ruler but that had neither here nor there to do with Saera. She was his mate. But how was he to convince his Nana that? More importantly, should he even try?

A furrow lent a delicate groove between his brow as he found himself concentrating hard over what had to be a simple conundrum. But Saera in his arms made even breathing difficult. It would take only his claim over her very soul to release him from her grip over him. It would take only his own soul given to her freely to release them both from this insanity. Long enough reason to return and no doubt question his sanity still.

His fingers clenched about her hand tugging her into him, then his nose was burrowed in her hair and he was drawing her in. A unique combination of unknown fragrance that was his mate filled his senses and  he momentarily drowned in it.

"Evans!"

Ash lifted his head reluctantly at the snap to his Nana's tone. "She is her, Nana. My mate. The other half to my soul. You would know this if you could feel what I feel."

Shrewed eyes turned sharp and focused on the unsuspecting girl in his arms. "It's obviously a spell of some sort," said his Nana with a determined nod, as she eyed Saera as if she were a critter crawling out from  the bowels of hell. "I will rid you of it. There is no way. This human," she paused, taking a delicate sniff of the air before continuing,"this Witch? She-deamon? This trice mated woman, could possibly be your mate."