Chapter 39 ~ We Got Her

Mom spotted me leaving the gates as I was quickly avoiding her trying to find another way to get home without her noticing.

Which I obviously failed to do.

"Hey, mom! Good to see you are back from work." I said not giving her a chance to bring up whatever I saw in the teacher's lounge.

"I actually haven't gone yet. I am not due at the hospital for another hour." She said looking directly at me searching my eyes.

"That's good to know," I said giving her a smile.

"I could give you a ride home. I have to pick up some patient paperwork anyways.

I gave her a nod and slipped into the back seat of the car. The whole ride home was quiet and extremely awkward. As I sat there I noticed mom's eyes kept flashing to the mirror looking at me. Which made me even more uncomfortable.

We got to the house and the sun was beginning to set.

I quickly got out of the car to escape the awkward conversation that was just waiting to happen. I fumbled with my keys practically shoving it into the keyhole and forcing the door open. I swear I would have just broken the door to just get away.

I was almost in the clear. Just as my foot got to the first step, mom just had to open her mouth.

"Hun we should talk about what happened." Mom said closing the front door behind her.

"It's okay we really don't need to talk about anything. I'll just pretend I never saw anything. It'll be better that way." I said fumbling with my hands wanting nothing more than to leave.

"It's probably best we clear the air. We can talk over tea." She said already walking into the kitchen. I looked up at the stairs in the direction of my room. There goes my chance of escaping. I walked into the kitchen taking a seat at the dining as she working on the tea.

The wait for the kettle to finish boiling was so awkward that I felt like just melting away from existence. Once the water whistled to a stop she poured the water into two separate cups and slid one over to me. I thanked her grabbing it glad to have something that will keep me from needing to talk.

She took a long sip of her tea. The sounds of her slurping filled the air.

With a clink, she set her cup down.

"Hun, I know you might be feeling weird about this whole thing but I want you to understand that I will never do anything to compromise your hero journey. Shota and I happened way before you even got into U. A."

"Is this why you didn't want me to go to U.A and why you have been acting super weird?" I said looking at her confused.

She fumbled with her hands and averted her gaze from mine before answering yes. "Mom I seriously don't care who you date. Would I have been better off not knowing it was my teacher? Yes. Absolutely. In fact, I would have preferred not knowing. At least now I have peace of mind. For a while there you got me thinking you got into shady business." I said laughing at my silly thought.

"Yeah. Are you sure you are okay with this?" Mom asked clearly believing me.

"As long as you don't pull me out of school. I am a-okay with it but I would prefer we never revisit this conversation. Ever."

"I am so relieved. I was kind of worried you won't be okay with it." Mom said letting out a relieved sigh.

I took a sip of my tea, "Does Kean know?"

Mom immediately tensed up once I brought up Kean and she stopped talking. She just stared at her tea in hand not saying a word.

"I guess he didn't take it too well. I mean it makes sense he actually knew his dad. Is that why things have been so tense between the two of you? You should really talk to him about it cause if I have to deal with another awkward situation, I am snapping my neck." I said jokingly.