The shoreline where you and i meet

"How was last night?" Taehyung blurts the second Jeongguk's boot hits the entryway of his apartment.

Jeongguk freezes, raising his eyebrows. He doesn't even have both feet inside yet, his hand still holding the bag he was about to drop into Taehyung's entryway.

"Hey, hyung, nice to see you too, I had a great day, how about you?" he replies sarcastically, slipping the rest of the way inside and dropping his bag on the floor before kicking off his boots.

Taehyung winces, not realizing how eager he'd sounded. "Hi Jeongguk, how was your day?" he grumbles reluctantly, following him with his eyes as he dips into the kitchen and out of his line of sight.

"Good, thanks for being genuinely interested in my life," Jeongguk calls back, making Taehyung huff. He's such a brat. "And last night was... fine. Same as usual."

"Oh yeah?" Taehyung says, trying to hold back the giddiness in his voice. Same as usual is never a good thing. "That's too bad."

"Where's Seokjin?" Jeongguk's voice is muffled by the telltale sounds of Taehyung's cabinets opening and slamming shut followed by the refrigerator and the shuffle of his leftover containers. Taehyung sometimes thinks that the only reason they're friends is so Jeongguk can get free food out of him. "He's not home?"

"He didn't come home last night." Taehyung shrugs. "Seems like I'm the only one who left the bar alone."

He tries to hide the bitterness in his tone, he really does. But after years of watching Jeongguk parade his omega conquests past him he's sort of at the end of his rope and to be honest at this point he could probably wear a flashing neon sign that says Jeongguk, I want you to fuck me and Jeongguk still wouldn't have any idea.

Jeongguk appears in the doorway, one of the plastic containers filled with leftovers from Taehyung's breakfast balanced in one hand and a pair of chopsticks already loaded up with meat in the other. "You could have had any alpha in that bar," Jeongguk says. "I don't know why you never even try to talk to anyone."

Because of you, Taehyung wants to say. Because I just want to go home with you.

Last night had been particularly difficult for him; Taehyung is right on the precipice of his pre-heat, looking forward (read: dreading) spending his cycle alone for the umpteenth time. And, yeah, Taehyung knows he's a catch, knows he could easily find an alpha to bring him home and fuck him stupid, could easily get him to spend his heat with him if he really wanted to.

He decides changing the subject is a good idea before he says something really stupid. "You know, you could always order food instead of eating my leftovers."

"Are you paying?"

Taehyung scoffs. "Why would I pay for your food?"

"Because you're my hyung," Jeongguk says simply, shoveling another chopstickful of beef into his mouth as he crosses the room to where Taehyung is sitting on the couch, fingers wrapped around a long-stemmed wine glass filled with sparkling white. If he's going to be around Jeongguk when he's this close to pre-heat he's going to need to be good and tipsy. He flops down right in the middle of the couch, close enough that his thigh presses hot against Taehyung's own, making him immediately bring the glass back to his lips to take a deep drink. "Plus, I like your cooking. It reminds me of home."

Taehyung scoffs when Jeongguk turns that wide-eyed look onto him, the one he knows gets whatever he wants. "Fine," he huffs, rolling his eyes. "But only because you're giving me that wounded puppy look. It's not gonna work forever, you know."